F150 ecoboost - Any Insight?

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Mine got this up to 60mph almost as well as my lly. After 60 she was working hard though. Mpt 93 Oct tow tune. It just didn't feel stable in corners or stopping unless the trailer brakes were set way aggressive.
bd31ffbd35244b5e0e9cc149f37ce8f6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
It's no chevy :p. But for any non hd work it'll be fine. Honestly, over 8k lbs you're kind of pushing the limits of the 1/2 chassis. Yeah they are rated for more but it's a different ball game than a 3/4 or 1ton diesel. Even with all the trailer assist stuff.

My 5.3 always felt very strong. Better driving feel than my buddies eco boost. Not nearly as quick though. I only towed with the economist once and it did just fine. Are you getting rid of your Duramax for this or just adding to the fleet?

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
It's no chevy :p. But for any non hd work it'll be fine. Honestly, over 8k lbs you're kind of pushing the limits of the 1/2 chassis. Yeah they are rated for more but it's a different ball game than a 3/4 or 1ton diesel. Even with all the trailer assist stuff.

My 5.3 always felt very strong. Better driving feel than my buddies eco boost. Not nearly as quick though. I only towed with the economist once and it did just fine. Are you getting rid of your Duramax for this or just adding to the fleet?

Yep, I put my truck up for sale locally last night. :eek: I've had the ol truck for 12 years. :eek: Gonna be weird if/when it sells. My wife's is identical accept its stock (no tuning or built trans) so I'll still have a duramax and I still have a mountain of parts and donor truck to convert the 83 if I can ever get going with that. :D

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
SmokeShow, from my understanding there are a lot of manufacturers out there with overhead cam engines that have timing chain and phaser issues. This from talking with other dealer techs I know outside of GM. But I think a lot can be prevented with quality oil and prompt oil changes. Don't follow any oil life monitoring system that says you can drive 8k miles on the same oil before service is due lol

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
SmokeShow, from my understanding there are a lot of manufacturers out there with overhead cam engines that have timing chain and phaser issues. This from talking with other dealer techs I know outside of GM. But I think a lot can be prevented with quality oil and prompt oil changes. Don't follow any oil life monitoring system that says you can drive 8k miles on the same oil before service is due lol

But does the cost of high end synthetic oil, AND changing ahead of schedule offset the cost of timing chains / guides after 100k miles? Probably not, especially if you do the work yourself.

johnnygibs2

Mar 23, 2017
They forgot to mention about the lawsuit on ford about the eco boost with the timing chain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
But does the cost of high end synthetic oil, AND changing ahead of schedule offset the cost of timing chains / guides after 100k miles? Probably not, especially if you do the work yourself.

I guess then you hope they fail while you still got some warranty left. Otherwise an old fashioned pushrod engine seems to be just fine.