Explain budget cuts to me

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
As you all know we are facing big automatic budget cuts I assume will go in effect midnight tonight. From the little time I've had to watch the news it appears the civilian contractors will take the brunt of the loss? Although I hate to see anyone loose there job especially in this economy is it really a terrible thing? Almost every corporation out there has been forced to make very tough decisions and lay off hard working productive people because of the decline in economy. I guess my biggest question is do we need to trim up spending in that area anyway? I'm sure there are people on this site that will be effected by this, just looking for an explination from people involved or in the know. Tired of trying to sift through the contradicting info on the news.

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
Basically there is no cuts, the Government under Obama has increased spending to levels never before seen as well as our debt.

Obama is not interested at all in reducing spending, all he is interested in doing is taking from the people who work to give to the people that don't.

Obama's desire is to inflict as much personal pain on working people to gin up support for even higher taxes on the so-called wealthy, he will do this by cutting as much as he can to inflict the most immediate pain to realize his political goal of more taxes.

I count every day until that POS leaves on January 20th, 2016

:(

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Basically there is no cuts, the Government under Obama has increased spending to levels never before seen as well as our debt.

Obama is not interested at all in reducing spending, all he is interested in doing is taking from the people who work to give to the people that don't.

Obama's desire is to inflict as much personal pain on working people to gin up support for even higher taxes on the so-called wealthy, he will do this by cutting as much as he can to inflict the most immediate pain to realize his political goal of more taxes.

Agreed! ^^^ :thumb:

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Tony said it best!

The sequestion is NOT a CUT in spending. My understanding is it simply just locks in the same spending as last year, meaning there WILL NOT be an INCREASE in spending for this year. The POS liberal media LOVES for you to think it's actually a cut when it's really just operating on the same budget.

The spending is going to HAVE to stop at some point, period.

moss

<--good vibrations
Dec 15, 2008
sandwich, il
they reduce the increase they wanted. so instead of a 15% increase, its a 3% increase. they also consider that a cut!!:mad:

flyinelvis11

May 11, 2010
VG, IL (because my wife does)
The federal government operates on what is called "baseline" budgeting which essentially means automatic increases are figured in every year thus the baseline stays the same showing no increase. It's an accounting trick so they can increase their budget without saying they are increasing it lol. These increases are in there basically (the way I understand it, correct me if I'm wrong) because the Senate hasn't passed a budget in over 1000 days (something it is supposed to do yearly) and these increases are (the way I understand it) essentially inflationary increases. I'm by no means an expert and they may be someone out there who has more insight than me. Doing your own research is always the best way to ensure the facts.

On a side note, the federal government spends approximately 11 billion dollars a day to run itself so the 86 billion in cuts is equivalent to about 8 days worth of government spending. A little perspective reveals just how political this really is. I will stop short of interjecting my own political beliefs in here but let me pose one question. Does eight days of spending freeze sound like the doom and gloom Obama and the media have made it out to be?

jdlover1

437 Cubic Inches
Oct 4, 2006
chapanoke,nc
If it goes in effect tonight starting around april 22 to sept. I will only working 4 days a work and taking a day off with no pay. Thats for government employess. But im not complaining since i will be on the farm working. I will actually help save my leave since i will not have to take off to work on farm. they can say all they want about taxing the rich guys more and stuff but when the dust settles its the middle class that gets screwed and the lower class gets everything free

WanaDmaxsub

Junior Member W/gray hair
Feb 17, 2007
If it goes in effect tonight starting around april 22 to sept. I will only working 4 days a work and taking a day off with no pay. Thats for government employess. But im not complaining since i will be on the farm working. I will actually help save my leave since i will not have to take off to work on farm. they can say all they want about taxing the rich guys more and stuff but when the dust settles its the middle class that gets screwed and the lower class gets everything free

X2...lots of free time...but no extra money...bills get paid first:mad:

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ

Yup, parents just told me tonight that they may need help with bills and what not if it goes though. :mad:

doug9940

Ca LLY
Dec 6, 2009
Corona, Ca.

I count every day until that POS leaves on January 20th, 2016:(

Hate to break the new to ya Tony, but Obama doesn't leave office until 1/20/2017.

Rudely

Jun 21, 2011
NC

Perfect!
However, I have to add that I believe it is The Annointed ones agenda to do as much damage to the USA as he possibly can before leaving office. I know I am going to get whacked for saying this but, I truly believe it is his INTENTION to attempt to turn us into a third world nation. He is a Muslim with radical left views with a wife that just recently for the first time in her life, been proud of The USA!:(:mad:
Go ahead and tell me he isn't Muslin, that he is a Christian......ask yourself........how many folks do you know with the name Hussein it it that aren't Muslim or of Arab descent.

From the Arabic personal name, Husayn, derived from the Arabic hasuna, meaning "to be good" or "to be handsome or beautiful." Hasan, for which Hussain is a derivative, was the son of Ali and the grandson of the Prophet Muhammad.

I do not believe he was even eligible to hold the office of The President, a term I will use very loosely until 2016.

My apologies if I derailed the threads original intent, I just needed to say that to a group of folks that I know are intelligent.:thumb:

Max Attitude

11SIX
Mar 7, 2012
Caledonia, MI
Perfect!
However, I have to add that I believe it is The Annointed ones agenda to do as much damage to the USA as he possibly can before leaving office. I know I am going to get whacked for saying this but, I truly believe it is his INTENTION to attempt to turn us into a third world nation. He is a Muslim with radical left views with a wife that just recently for the first time in her life, been proud of The USA!:(:mad:
Go ahead and tell me he isn't Muslin, that he is a Christian......ask yourself........how many folks do you know with the name Hussein it it that aren't Muslim or of Arab descent.

From the Arabic personal name, Husayn, derived from the Arabic hasuna, meaning "to be good" or "to be handsome or beautiful." Hasan, for which Hussain is a derivative, was the son of Ali and the grandson of the Prophet Muhammad.

I do not believe he was even eligible to hold the office of The President, a term I will use very loosely until 2016.

My apologies if I derailed the threads original intent, I just needed to say that to a group of folks that I know are intelligent.:thumb:

X2

WanaDmaxsub

Junior Member W/gray hair
Feb 17, 2007
Yup, parents just told me tonight that they may need help with bills and what not if it goes though. :mad:

Have them look at the amount they are putting into thier retirement. Knocking it down to 5% could help and as long as they don't go below 5% they will still get the automatic contribution.

Do a search for "furlough pay calculator". There are several out there that can be used to see just what the hit will be.:eek:

20% cut in pay is going to make for a loooooooong boring summer....

BigDMax05

Peanut butter and ladies!
Feb 2, 2009
Indiana
I think all 535 members of congress and the potus and his cronies need to be handed their walking papers! This shit has gone far enough. Giving 16 f-16 fighter jets to Egypt? Providing Mexican drug cartels with automatic weapons? Exspensive multi million dollar vacations?

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
DOD is taking the brunt of it, so no cuts for social programs (that I'm aware of) just big cuts to the DOD. A lot of the units are taking really big cuts to a point where then might not be combat ready in any way. Not saying that the DOD does not have a lot of pork, but its going to hurt

jraymer

<--Tree Hugger
Oct 31, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I think all 535 members of congress and the potus and his cronies need to be handed their walking papers! This shit has gone far enough. Giving 16 f-16 fighter jets to Egypt? Providing Mexican drug cartels with automatic weapons? Exspensive multi million dollar vacations?

Also a buddy told me today that the Border Patrol for the Canadian/US border up in Minnesota are cruising around in Ford Raptor trucks now. Why the hell would they need a 60k truck to do that job?