exhaust Tick

zf6lly

Jun 24, 2013
westchester NY
Noticed at WOT 2500-3000 rpms and full boost I have an exhaust tick
was ticking at idle one day last week truck say while i was gone for 5 days no noise at idle today...

sounds much like when a gasser has a cracked manifold or blown out gasket

manifolds/ up pipes all look ok no signs of soot

Ive replaced many ford up pipes but they Hiss when they leak and hiss at idle aswell....

thought it was the DP cause the bolt was missing loosened both clamps and installed a new bolt, re secured, that wasn't it... any ideas guna take egr blocker plate out tomorrow but I'm not to sure that's it....

zf6lly

Jun 24, 2013
westchester NY
that what I was worried about but listened with stethoscope to both valve covers and all injectors didn't hear the noise and it only does it at max boost never did it before I got efi live a few weeks ago then noticed the noise on the way home from a sled pull racing my friend on the highway
id only make like 25-26psi now i pin my edge at 30psi
its a hard noise to describe maybe flutter is a better word...

cat_dr.

Feb 20, 2013
Jackson,Al
I've noticed mine doing the same after I installed my efi and can't for the life if me figure out what it is or where it's coming from. But it does it just as your describing when under when I get on it hard. I don't have gauges so not sure at what boost level it does it.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Are yall sure it isn't just a different sound from different tuning? Maybe from a little different timing or pilot injection.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

zf6lly

Jun 24, 2013
westchester NY
removed blocker today wasn't the problem, it only happens in a higher gear at 28+psi and sounds like exhaust gas escaping under sever pressure, Im just so used to replacing ford up pipes but they hiss at idle when the bellows crack...

I think some gasket or something is flexing/ heating up and leaking this has been driving me nuts for two weeks at least Im not the only one...

so after many more hours of searching found an old thread and a guy has this noise and it was after having his manifold off and reusing the gasket he had a leak, replaced gasket fixed

this is way louder than my noise and bit more high pitched but somewhat similar...do these gaskets just blow out... will I be able to re use the bolts... cause GM hardware is so expensive..

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/b20vtecek/media/fb950eb4.mp4.html

Last edited:

zf6lly

Jun 24, 2013
westchester NY
well after my dyno run saturday the noise was constant and ridiculous driving down teh road, went through the wheel well trying to feel for the leak and also noticed soot around injector, turned out to be an injector loosened up,and compression was leaking around it, 1/4 turn of the hold down bolt and it has been quite since...