Exhaust question

OnixMax

Oct 7, 2013
I've looked through a lot of threads, and haven't found anyone who has done this.

First, I don't want my truck to be loud, I just want a little better flow.
Would a 3.5" in 4" out muffler and 4" tail pipe (Diamond eye sells just the after-muffler components) see any real increase in flow/sound?

Truck is stock other than S&B intake and PPE boost valve.
03 Silverado 2500HD LB7 crew cab.

Thanks guys!

OnixMax

Oct 7, 2013
Anyone? Even if I welded a 3.5" to 4" adapter just before the muffler and went to a 4" muffler out, would I see a drop in EGTs?

OnixMax

Oct 7, 2013
I want to keep a quiet truck, but once I get down to Nick @ DuramaxTuner, I'm afraid the stock exhaust may keep EGTs too high..

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Don't mess with trying to adapt the stock exhaust to a 4" tailpipe. Go all aftermarket from the downpipe back or you will regret it later

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
A 4" with a muffler shouldn't drone too bad. If you don't like it, there is also a resonated front pipe available from DE I believe.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
I have read some guys having good luck with a FTE resonator or the Diamond Eye quiet tone, mine is a large truck resonator with a 40" muffler as I prefer as quiet as possible out the exhaust pipe but I still need to hear the motor in the cab as found out the other day something did not feel and sound right in the transmission when I exited the freeway the other day then the trans temp gauge, banner display wigged out on me a few minutes later.

I did install the resonator with the 4" exhaust and could not tell you if it had any drone as I had not towed a trailer long distance. It was however loud as F*** with the passenger window down with just the resonator more than enough to draw attention, the muffler made a substantial difference but I still do not like it.

Last edited:

OnixMax

Oct 7, 2013
I've read good and bad about the "quiet tone" front pipe from DE.
I mean, worst case, I pick up a 4" MBRP exhaust w/ muffler, and If I don't like it, I could just replace the muffler with a longer one. I've read too that MBRP produces a "quiet" muffler..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I run a full 4" Diamond Eye with the Quiet Tone front pipe and their muffler. It sounds good, reasonable volume, no drone. If you go wide open, it will draw attention (but that might be the fault of my S371 more than the exhaust).

Though you will want to have an exhaust shop install & weld it, since the clamps and hangers it comes with don't line up great. Shop charged me $100 to install it and welded all seams (no clamps). Well worth the coin, even with the install cost.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I've got the DE 4" turbo back exhaust on my truck, it does not have the quiet tone resonator option... It came with just the round case muffler chamber.

I think it sounds almost perfect during normal operation and under WOT it screams pretty good too. However when I'm towing our toy hauler (empty @ 8k or loader at 12k) pulling a long hill, obnoxious hilly terrain or a long mountain grade, the exhaust is pretty boomy and it gets old. Only then does the exhaust have any "real drone" but it is an aggressive drone that resonates in the ol' ear canals and enough in the cab to audibly vibrate the plastic at the back of the cab at the headliner.

Even as a (self proclaimed) boinified gearhead it starts to make me restless, I don't know if that's more in anticipation of my family getting irritable over it or not, I guess I tolerate fine but my wife and kids get tired of it quick

I've had it from when the truck was stock with just that exhaust, to tuned with a downpipe then EGR delete, intercooler, PPE uppipes/manis, built trans tuning, 4094vgt, DHD Y-bridge, HSP 3"hot pipe, 60% injectors, billet vgt72 (in that order) and the exhaust has maintained it characteristics throughout, but it has gotten louder due to greater engine power output. Believe it or not, the intake airflow improvements made as notable of a gain in the sound quality of the exhaust as the exhaust improvements made, maybe not in decibels but the "quality" of the exhaust sound increased.
:thumb:

Not to be cheesy
It sounds pretty mean now, not "just like a tuned truck" or "just a diesel with an exhaust" when you're in the cab and on the throttle it sounds like performance should! In traffic or near a crowded street people look fer sure. Some of my friends say it doesn't sound like a diesel they've ever heard before, but they're not like you guys tho
LOL

Last edited:

OnixMax

Oct 7, 2013
I REALLY don't want it to be overly loud. To me, the stock exhaust sounds pretty good but I want the better flow and lower EGTs.
What scares me is I pull trailers with regularity with my Dad, and I don't really want it to be loud.

I actually don't mind the sound of a 4" Flo-Pro (YouTube), but can't seem to find too many people who use it. Majority MBRP and DE.

Last edited:

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
I went with these two and a 4" magnaflow pipe
-

9id8wz.jpg

-
-
1191f8p.jpg

-
-

Last edited:

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I REALLY don't want it to be overly loud. To me, the stock exhaust sounds pretty good but I want the better flow and lower EGTs.
What scares me is I pull trailers with regularity with my Dad, and I don't really want it to be loud.

I actually don't mind the sound of a 4" Flo-Pro (YouTube), but can't seem to find too many people who use it. Majority MBRP and DE.

Flo pro makes a great kit. It's what I use 95% of the time. The kits with muffler are not to loud or droney. Very nice kits with good clamps.

Any more questions on em just ask

OnixMax

Oct 7, 2013
Flo pro makes a great kit. It's what I use 95% of the time. The kits with muffler are not to loud or droney. Very nice kits with good clamps.

Any more questions on em just ask

You wouldn't happen to have a video of one on an LB7, would you?

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
first off duramax tuner.....

second diamond eye is shit... Fit is terrible and the sound is waaaay to raspy. MBRP or magnaflow are the ones I have had great luck with. If the muffler is to loud you can turn it around and have the vents catch the exhaust flow, I have never done this as I think the muffler on straight flow sounds amazing