Exhaust manifold stud removal help

citadel

Jan 2, 2008
TN
Hello all. Am swapping in a new set of exhaust manifolds and need to remove the exhaust studs or buy spacers. I tried stacking two nuts and turning the bottom one and tried grabbing the stud with some vice grips. Just wondering what y'all do to pull these things.

citadel

Jan 2, 2008
TN
Thanks for the quick replies. So pulled out my welder and it won't feed wire. Lent it to my buddy a while ago, he said something about tip being clogged, dang thing won't even feed halfway through the hose. So I'm either going to need a new hose thing part or a new welder to replace my tired harbor freight one. Will pick up some map gas and try it with some vice grips later.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Never used that one but I have used the little one with teeth inside that tightens more as you spin out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moparkxracer

Jun 25, 2010
Out and about
I think that is the same concept just can't see the teeth, the one i have has teeth in it and tightens as you twist.

As others have said apply some heat and try to be easy with the threads in the head. Don't want to mess them up or break the stud off.

Never used that one but I have used the little one with teeth inside that tightens more as you spin out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk