EFILive Engine longevity with a tune

mplecha

May 13, 2012
South Carolina
I ordered efilive a while back and should be getting it soon. One of the things I have been curious about is whether or not running a non stock tune will affect engine life. I plan on running an economy or towing tune as I'm not into racing or sled pulling, but it makes me wonder. If a tuner can get more mpgs from my lly, why didn't they tune it this way at the factory? I hope to keep this truck for a long time. Thanks!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I ordered efilive a while back and should be getting it soon. One of the things I have been curious about is whether or not running a non stock tune will affect engine life. I plan on running an economy or towing tune as I'm not into racing or sled pulling, but it makes me wonder. If a tuner can get more mpgs from my lly, why didn't they tune it this way at the factory? I hope to keep this truck for a long time. Thanks!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

GM tuned teh LLY for emissions and there preset variables that they had to conform to of for performance, economy, and emissions. The custom tuners are not constrained by tehre variables, so you can optimize the tuning to suit your needs whereas GM tuned them for the majority to tow max weight day in and day out. Engine longevity will not suffer unless you use the added HP on a regular basis. Just because you load a 90HP tune in does not mean you always using that extra HP. You will still use the same amount off HP to go X speed at the same amount of weight regardless. It's accelerating where you normally use the extra HP, or when towing heavy and getting on it hard. Drive it easy and it wil llast just as long with a tune and get you better milage.

mplecha

May 13, 2012
South Carolina
That makes sense. I've spent a lot of time tuning efi harleys for the same reason. I don't know why I even assumed a diesel would be different. Thanks!

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
How your tq conv couples tq will greatly affect engine and trans longevity. From the factory the allison was not built to handle that 90 horse tune btw so think about that. Gm de tuned the tq(rumor) due to the amount of complaints the general got from farmers hauling cattle and show horses evidently the animals dont like stump pulling tq while they slide along on their hooves. Since so much of the diesel market was being used for these purposes gm(isuzu)responded with a higher stall tq conv more tq management and less agressive fluid coupling as far as longevity that depends on how you drive it build it and educate yourself in the world of diesel. Btw if i baby my race tune even with my slippin stock trans i get the best fuel economy cuz you actually use less throttle to get goin but watch out when your turbo lights and make sure it aint rainin! Think about this ford and dodge hav both had a couple if not several engine designs in the last decade to 13 years and all gm had to do to answer back was adjust the duramax fuel map!

Do what? I've looked at alot of tunes, and I have yet to see where GM has decreased torque in any of them through the years. The LMM has a slightly higher torque request than teh LBZ, and the LBZ is alot higher than the LLY. Bottom end torque has been there sellign point with it peaking below 2K RPM's. And GM used a loose torque converter for there own misguided reasons. The newest LML has a slightly tighter torque converter than previous years, but before that they were all pretty close as far as stall speed goes. If anything teh LBZ and LMM's I have ridden in were tighter than the LB7 and LLY's I've been in. My donor truck wouldn't do much of anything until it was up past 2K RPM's because teh converter was so loose, but an LBZ and LMM will couple pretty good around 1700-1800.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Fermanator- how do you like the sound of your corsa exhaust? Do you tow with your burb?

Teh CORSA sounds AWESOME! Everybody that hears always says something about how deep it sounds, yet how quiet it is in the cab. And I tow with it I would say at least half the time it gets driven. Only downfall is my tailpipe doesn't stick out past teh fender, and it goes out at a 45. So if I'm towing a box trailer or something with a flat front the sound bounces off of it and exhos back up.

The testing WAS done with the allison. the duramax/allison was avail 01 prelim testing 99-00 feedback from farmers happened during this time is what i was told and it was @ this time gm isuzu and allison finalized the product and we got the 01 LB7 and allison 5sp with a cattle/ horse approval of the tq management also why most older trucks seem to have a looser tq cuz they do. Gm has tightened it back up over the years to get better fuel eco. And cuz vvgt turbos spool boost aolt smoother

The first DURAMAX test engines were put into the old body style trucks like my BURB, and I am 99% certain they were backed by a 4L80E. There are to many indicators in the DURAMAX design that point to it having been designed to fit into a GMT-400. The creased drivers side exhaust manifold that is a good 3 inches away from the steering shaft in an 01, is in the PERFECT spot for the GMT-400. The front of the oil pan where it is cast to clear the steering linkage lines up perfect for my steering linkage, yet in the 01 trucks it wasn't really needed. The way the downpipe drops down the back of the engine was like it was made for my truck more so than the new trucks. The placement of teh oil pressure sensor clears perfectly whereas the 03+ design would be a pain to get to. The oil filter just happens to stagger into the frame rails just right. There are just to many things that point to it having been designed for the 88-00 trucks, but the ALLISON on the other hand was not. It can be made to clear, but required some pretty extensive floor board creasing whereas the 4L80E just drops in place.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
How your tq conv couples tq will greatly affect engine and trans longevity. From the factory the allison was not built to handle that 90 horse tune btw so think about that. Gm de tuned the tq(rumor) due to the amount of complaints the general got from farmers hauling cattle and show horses evidently the animals dont like stump pulling tq while they slide along on their hooves. Since so much of the diesel market was being used for these purposes gm(isuzu)responded with a higher stall tq conv more tq management and less agressive fluid coupling as far as longevity that depends on how you drive it build it and educate yourself in the world of diesel. Btw if i baby my race tune even with my slippin stock trans i get the best fuel economy cuz you actually use less throttle to get goin but watch out when your turbo lights and make sure it aint rainin! Think about this ford and dodge hav both had a couple if not several engine designs in the last decade to 13 years and all gm had to do to answer back was adjust the duramax fuel map!

Longevity. it was a concern for me too at first. The block should go a long long time.like 300k or more. With a good efi live tune the pistons will hardly notice a differance as compared to stock. Robs tune will make you smile no doubt about it your truck will never have run better providing you have the supporting mods to carry the tune from the fuel tank to the wheels.

The testing WAS done with the allison. the duramax/allison was avail 01 prelim testing 99-00 feedback from farmers happened during this time is what i was told and it was @ this time gm isuzu and allison finalized the product and we got the 01 LB7 and allison 5sp with a cattle/ horse approval of the tq management also why most older trucks seem to have a looser tq cuz they do. Gm has tightened it back up over the years to get better fuel eco. And cuz vvgt turbos spool boost aolt smoother

:roflmao:
Seriously... farmers and cattle :spit: :rofl::rofl::rofl: