Engine detailing ???

WiggyHD

Sep 7, 2009
Mena, Arkansas
So, I want to get my engine compartment looking good, and I am having an issue with getting the engine itself looking right. It has kind of a corrosion looking stuff on the aluminum components. The aluminum tubes and stuff look alright, just the valve covers, heads, etc.. How do I clean this stuff off and get the motor looking somewhat new again?

THANKS!
Mark

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
So, I want to get my engine compartment looking good, and I am having an issue with getting the engine itself looking right. It has kind of a corrosion looking stuff on the aluminum components. The aluminum tubes and stuff look alright, just the valve covers, heads, etc.. How do I clean this stuff off and get the motor looking somewhat new again?

THANKS!
Mark

Not sure if it will help with the corrosion on the aluminum, but simple green on a cold engine rinse off with water will clean all the grease and dirt. Don't let the simple green dry and don't do it on a warm or hot engine.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I use S100 total cycle cleaner found at Harley shops then top it off with CD2 engine detailer at Auto zone ETC. I don't know what to do about corrosion a stiff/brass brush maybe. Be careful about using Simple Green on aluminum it can speed up corrosion stick to engine degreasers. But adding something to protect the alu like CD2 will help stop it.

Last edited:

jc1843

Sep 27, 2009
So Calf
I rerouted my PCV system and was surprised how much cleaner the engine stayed. Of course I have to put it back in 2011 when I have to have the emission tested. CA sucks! :mad:

WiggyHD

Sep 7, 2009
Mena, Arkansas
elbow greese, wire brush, and engine degreaser for the aluminum. :thumb:

I have the elbow grease. Would I want a brass wire brush since it is softer? Do you have any suggestion for the degreaser? I have read a few mentioned, but I haven't found them. I live in a VERY small town. I Gunk Engine bright too harsh for the aluminum? Sorry to sound dumb. I'm just used to using soap and water, but it has never turned out as clean as I want it. I do have a pressure washer, and know what not to use it aroundin the engine compartment. I also cover all the electronics I can with plastic.

THANKS!
Mark

TIM Z

Screwed by 0087s
Jan 17, 2009
Navarre, OH
Mine looked like brand new after simple green, rinse, them Zep alume, rinse really brighted up the aluminum.

LT1BRD

sidelines expert
Mar 25, 2009
San Angelo, TX
I have the elbow grease. Would I want a brass wire brush since it is softer? Do you have any suggestion for the degreaser? I have read a few mentioned, but I haven't found them. I live in a VERY small town. I Gunk Engine bright too harsh for the aluminum? Sorry to sound dumb. I'm just used to using soap and water, but it has never turned out as clean as I want it. I do have a pressure washer, and know what not to use it aroundin the engine compartment. I also cover all the electronics I can with plastic.

THANKS!
Mark

a soft wire brush will work just fine...a tooth brush would probably even work. i just use engine degreaser from O'reillys or Wal-Mart...brand doesn't matter. not as harsh as simple green.
if you want, spray a little on a piece of aluminum, like your alternator. brush on it a little and whipe it off with a rag and see what that looks like. you can hose it off with the water hose, just don't pressure wash it. most of the electrical connectors are weatherproof, but if you are hosing off a large area, it wouldn't hurt to remove your batteries and let the water dry before putting them back in. some dont, but like i said, it wouldn't hurt. :D

also, some of my friends spray the degreaser on a hot engine. i've never done it, but i think that's how it works best...less elbow grease...if any.

TIM Z

Screwed by 0087s
Jan 17, 2009
Navarre, OH
I'll have to see if WalMart or Autozone have the Zep. I just looked it up and it weems like it will do the trick!

Mark

Wal fart doesnt have it that i know of, i had to buy it from a semi/trailer sales/parts place. Its very strong stuff. Works great on the aluminum drive shaft / tool boxes/ un coated alum wheels. Its strong stuff!

turns foamy white right after you spray it on. Wear goggles cuz it burns the eyes.