Electric Fans

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Have a couple questions about electric fans on a dedicated puller. No a/c, no street use.
If i bought a set of LS1 fans, would i just cut and splice a on/off switch into the wiring? And if that would work, what about controlling the speed of the fans?
We would be fine with no variable speed option, just a full tilt or off kinda thing, but what have you guys done with your puller?

christopherglenn

Aug 26, 2012
There are aftermarket fans for duramax's, they are limited on cfm's - about 50% that the stock fan pulls. For towing this is a problem, for the short bursts you will see it is perfect. You can keep air flowing through the intercooler (cooler boost = lower egt's), and minimal drag on the engine (yes there is drag from the alternator, but an undersized pully can reduce that, and the batteries making up the difference).
The electrics are fine for AC, or driving light, just no big towing uphill.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Just got a set of OEM electric fans off a Escalade; should almost bolt up like they were there from the factory. Wiring isnt gonna be an issue for our puller cuz we just need an on/off switch at full voltage to spin them @ full speed!

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
Just got a set of OEM electric fans off a Escalade; should almost bolt up like they were there from the factory. Wiring isnt gonna be an issue for our puller cuz we just need an on/off switch at full voltage to spin them @ full speed!

If you are going to wire them with just a ON/OFF switch you need to at least get a steel toggle switch and get the highest amp switch you can get at NAPA, autozone, etc. You will eventually find out that the switches won't last long becuase of the voltage running through it and might even get hot to the touch. You really ought to run them off a relay. Since its just a puller the switch will work but if my memory is right the amps that some electric fans pull is a decent amount.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
If you are going to wire them with just a ON/OFF switch you need to at least get a steel toggle switch and get the highest amp switch you can get at NAPA, autozone, etc. You will eventually find out that the switches won't last long becuase of the voltage running through it and might even get hot to the touch. You really ought to run them off a relay. Since its just a puller the switch will work but if my memory is right the amps that some electric fans pull is a decent amount.

Actually going to wire each fan seperately. 1 switch and 1 relay per fan.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Finished the job couple weekends ago.
Junkyard yukon denali fans, used a cummins intake grid heater relay per fan. Used 10 gauge wire between battery and relay with an inline 30 amp fuse between. 10 ga wire to fans then. 12 gauage wire to switch and jumpered relays so we only need 1 switch to turn both fans on. Grounded through switch so all big amperage is out under hood instead of running through cab.
Really moves a lot of air, will suck my hat inside out if you put if up to front of radiator. Hopefully they work well in the summer heat!!

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
If any pullers want the fans I used on my single cab for a week, let me know, bought from Shawn (03-dmax) are 3500cfm fans, flex-a-lite controller, and I made my own LB7 TCM bracket. No AC wire since I nor the PO had AC. power wire for one fan side needs to be re-soldered, Id let them go for 200 shipped. PM me if interested..

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
^ can you post a pic or two very interested? why are you not running them anymore?

Sorry, didn't see your post earlier. I just have the 16" fans now, but will take 75 shipped for them.. Comes with 3 mounting brackets each.

IMG_0254_zpsb0a38ba7.jpg

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
What's so good about electric fans other than allowing more space? Would that have much effect not having to run that off the belt?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2