Electric fan or stock fan

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
run the stock fan. correct me if im wrong, but electric fans are pretty much only good on trucks that arent daily drivers, such as drag trucks, and sled pullers?

LOPES

Aug 14, 2011
San Diego, Ca
From what Ive heard, oem fan for daily drivers or utility use. They may weigh more or add additional strain but have more air flow. IIRC

probertson

Mar 4, 2013
Are the Electric fans any quieter than the OEM fans on these trucks? Not that noise is a problem just asking out of curiosity.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
run the stock fan. correct me if im wrong, but electric fans are pretty much only good on trucks that arent daily drivers, such as drag trucks, and sled pullers?

I drive my 1000 HP truck regularly with the Flexlite fans. No issues period.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
Also have the Flex-a-lite fan's on my 02' and have had no cooling problem's with them. When I reserched them before buying some people complained about cooling when doing heavy towing.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I'm sure I will get flamed for this, so flame suit on....

There is an idea that was shared that I totally agree with, and that is, the engine drives the stock fan, it's got something like 365 crank hp making making the fan move, I know it's clutched and under driven but the power moving the stock fan is significant, now try and compare what size motor(s) you would need to create that same driving force in an electric fan set up, then imagine the size motor you would need to create more power to move more air. Now it's just my opinion, but I don't think that there has been or is a better electric set up than the engine driven fan the OEM gave us. Don't get me wrong, electric fans are great to help remove heat when the truck is off, but other than that I don't believe you could ever move more air, more efficiently, than the stock set up

Just my .02

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
I'm sure I will get flamed for this, so flame suit on....

There is an idea that was shared that I totally agree with, and that is, the engine drives the stock fan, it's got something like 365 crank hp making making the fan move, I know it's clutched and under driven but the power moving the stock fan is significant, now try and compare what size motor(s) you would need to create that same driving force in an electric fan set up, then imagine the size motor you would need to create more power to move more air. Now it's just my opinion, but I don't think that there has been or is a better electric set up than the engine driven fan the OEM gave us. Don't get me wrong, electric fans are great to help remove heat when the truck is off, but other than that I don't believe you could ever move more air, more efficiently, than the stock set up

Just my .02

Well, you definitely are right about not being able to move more air. However the whole point of going to electric is they're much much more efficient. It's true that if you are doing huge towing you won't be able to match the shear performance of the stock fan, but if you're not who cares how much cooling capacity something has if you don't need that much in the first place.