EGT wire lead.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
I ran my EGT and boost gauges awhile ago, and ran them to the Trippin overhead mount. My EGT's probe wiring is stretched to the max trying to reach that far.

My qestion is, is there an extension wire for this? Is there anyway to extend the wiring so it doesn't look like crap layin accross the top of my motor. I would like to route the wires to the firewall like I did with my boost gauge. Thanks

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Without getting into details, yes, you can extend the wire, but the metal in the extension needs to match the exotic metals in the current EGT wires. You can frequently use the cutoff leads from a dead probe.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Yes, but the two wires coming off the EGT sensor are different metals, you have to match them kind to kind or it will throw off the reading. One metal is usually more copper colored than the other, but you have to be sure to match them. Do not solder, mechanically fasten them together only.

If you want the dirty on why, we can talk about that too.
:)

Jasondt2001

May 3, 2008
Salinas, Ca
Is it stranded wire or solid? I've been reading about extending the wiring and saw that if it's the same type of wire and gauge it'll be ok... i'm going to try to find it to make sure I don't steer you wrong :hug:

Jasondt2001

May 3, 2008
Salinas, Ca
If you're willing to order another gauge you could order some of the stuff off of the website and save some money.. 50' for like 16 bucks.

Jasondt2001

May 3, 2008
Salinas, Ca
After looking at some cat 5e computer network cable I'm wondering if that would work for you... low resistance and about the same gauge of wire.

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
i have a spare probe siting here, i think its got some wire too. its the probe that came with the snow mpg max kit.

i aready had an egt probe and didnt see the point in dual probes

i'll check the wire or check snows site.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
After looking at some cat 5e computer network cable I'm wondering if that would work for you... low resistance and about the same gauge of wire.

Guess we get into some nitty gritty....

What makes a thermocouple work is that the resistance across the cold junction between two dis-similar metals is temperature sensitive. For instance K thermocouples are usually use a chromel–alumel junction to measure the temperature.

What is not obvious, is that any other junction, like from chromel to copper, will also turn into a temperature sensing junction and have a significant affect on the reading. So using cat-5 copper wire is a no-no.

Any quality gauge has a compensation circuit at the gauge to deal with the transition from the specialty metals to the copper at the gauge, but it is useless if there is a junction outside of the gauge.

Here is a link to some K extension wire. Roughly $1.25/ft. I use this company a lot for my instrumentation needs.

Last edited:

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Wow thanks man. I was thinkin this was gonna cost some serious $, that ain't bad though.

lotsofmiles I'll prolly just go this route it's a for sure thing. Thanks though man:hug: