EGR Delete kit!?!?

Lbzmaxx

Jun 16, 2016
Michigan
There's too many differnt choices out there by googling (lbz egr delete kit)so that being said I am looking for a egr (DELETE) kit that is used and recommend by the guys that have experience installing hem of personally own one if I'm going to do this finally I want to to it right with no worries..thanks guys

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Just install a block plate, install an EFI DSP5 tune (turn off the CEL also) with a maximum of about 90hp, a 4" exhaust with a muffler and drive it for awhile. You'll be pleasantly surprised how well the truck runs and its enough to slip/limp your transmission if you're not careful.

I just run a block plate with a 90HP DSP5 tune, 4" exhaust with a resonator and a large muffler, I lik'em quiet.....

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Run a blocker plate, to many problems with some of the delete kits. If you want to delete it, pull the passenger up pipe and either replace it with a federal LB7 one, or cut the egr pipe off of it and put it back in. Seen one of the ebay delete kits, and I can see why they have so many problems with them.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Buy 30" of 5/8" heater hose and take the up pipe off and cut the riser off and weld it shut. Take the EGR cooler and valve off and remove the cooler from the valve. Cut some pieces of steel up to fit into the two feed holes and weld them shut too. Reinstall.
Free egr delete kit besides $3 of heater hose and some welding wire. And you will not lose the support of the EGR valve and will not have to wrestle with the poor quality sinister delete kit brackets and plates.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Blocker plate from anywhere for $20, efi tune and 30" of heater hose and done. Easiest way to do it.

Lbzmaxx

Jun 16, 2016
Michigan
What are your goals for the truck and what do you currently have done to the truck?

Weekend towing for camping have a 10k bumper pull trailer
Truck is really a weekend warrior other than the camping trips
Or to the upper pensula for hunting

What I have done is::
4" magnaflow ss with down pipe
Air box mod (stock air box with the baffles removed)
Edge evo cts (efi live will be this year)

Lbzmaxx

Jun 16, 2016
Michigan
Buy 30" of 5/8" heater hose and take the up pipe off and cut the riser off and weld it shut. Take the EGR cooler and valve off and remove the cooler from the valve. Cut some pieces of steel up to fit into the two feed holes and weld them shut too. Reinstall.
Free egr delete kit besides $3 of heater hose and some welding wire. And you will not lose the support of the EGR valve and will not have to wrestle with the poor quality sinister delete kit brackets and plates.

Ok let me make sure I got what your Laing down here..insted of blocker plates I am welding it all shut and the egr tube stays put to function as the tube that would come with the kits ?

Now..would I need a finger stick doing that? I would assume so being that all the pollutant is now being blocked from reentering my engine (I do not have efi live yet)

dmax_ty

Aug 18, 2011
Utah
You won't need a fingerstick with EFI Live tuning. The tuner can just shut the EGR and its related codes off completely.

Blocker plates are cheap and work very well. Also, I wouldn't hesitate in the least to get a delete kit from any of the vendors here. HSP, Wherli, Profab are all great peeps who make great products.

I had a SDP delete kit on my 04 and my 07 and both fit like a glove and looked great to boot.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I've done this for quite a few guys that don't want or need to spend the money for a full EGR delete tube. The only difference is I make the blocker plate on the back of the valve a bolt on deal that bolts in place of the cooler. Cheap, easy, and effective.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
One other simple thing about the block plate is ease of reversibility, a lot of states/counties are being forced by the EPA (with the help of yours truly CARB) to implement emissions programs, so which ever route you go save ALL your removed parts/devices. The EPA is cracking down and light duty diesels appear to be the targets especially after the they went after Edge and EFI which was settled back around 2012 or so....

If I'm around long enough I'll bet these diesel sites will be littered with post from guys looking for removed emissions parts in about 3-5 years...FWIW, mine passes the current emissions test where I live, IF they upgrade to the OBD-II test for diesels that CARB has been testing since 2012 I might fail due to the EFI tune I have. With that said there are some work arounds just don't know what they are, yet...

Last edited:

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
I wouldn't hesitate in the least to get a delete kit from any of the vendors here. HSP, Wherli, Profab are all great peeps who make great products.

X2 I helped a buddy do his LBZ with a kit from Amazon, he saved some $$, but we lost 3 hours doing extra fabrication work because the welding jigs were not set correctly with his kit. If you buy the full kit instead of the plate, spend the $$ and get it from someone who is not kicking them out in China...It will save you time and heartburn in the long run.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
IF you do opt for a blocker plate and do it yourself be sure and surface the plate, I took some 320 grit sandpaper on flat spot on my bench and flattened it. I was not surprised how flat it WAS not. PBlaster or a 50/50 mix of acetone and transmission fluid works best on the nuts.

Don't laugh at the string, you drop that wrench and it might end up behind the down pipe heat shield never to be seen again till you replace the stock down pipe, I just purchased it from Harbor Fraught, cut one end off and bent it to work better.

Here is a video on how to loosen the nuts with a ratchet strap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR76vtytQlY

Tools
=
2mxfogp.jpg

=
=
Be careful at both of these fittings, they can be cracked easily and you wont know till your low on coolant. The two just above transmission fliuid stick
=
11bu90n.jpg

=
=
Here is a backside picture of the engine, helps to know ahead of time what it looks like back there...
=
9iffpk.jpg

=
=
=
=
=

pnw_lml

Apr 26, 2016
Deleted and disconnected the egr sensors. Runs like a champ. Motorops efi live

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk