Efi

Twan

May 25, 2013
Colorado
I have a 2008 with EFI and DPF delete, truck now has 242,000 miles 4x4. It still has egr and a cat.

I run it on the 65hp tow tune and have for 4,000 miles it still runs like it did with the DPF on power wise. The egts are cooler and boost is higher, egts stay under 1400 99% of the time and will 25-30psi. Fuel rail presure is within .2 of what it's demand is. When it wants 26k it's getting 25.8-26.1. I have had the tunes redone.

Fuel filter was replaced, new air filter, trann temp is normal. I have a lift pump just need to get home to put it on.

0-60 edge times were .02 faster from stock to 65 tow.

What do I need to check?

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Do away with cat and make sure the EGR is blocked off and not just turned out interested tune. It can still open if not blocked. 65 hp rating is not much of a tune so it would be lightning fast.

Twan

May 25, 2013
Colorado
Not looking for lighting fast, lol.

I just think it should be a difference in power is all, .02 empty 0-60is weak.

Will the cat hold the truck back?

Egr block, is that easy to do, can I leave the cooler on still? Thanks.

Twan

May 25, 2013
Colorado
I should say, driving 3000 miles coast to coast, 6000 total on stock tune vs 6500 was no difference in power. Held the same speed on big hills. Down shifts the same on Iowa rolling hills.

Would a down pipe help out, heard the stock one is small.

I'll get the cat delete and egr block off in 4 weeks.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
You still having trouble with your tunes?!? Egr blocker plate is cake to put in, stock downpipe won't hinder a mild tune IMO.

Twan

May 25, 2013
Colorado
Yep, trying to get a list of ideas together.

Got a ppe lift pump to try, will shim the rail when I get home next. Got the parts.

Need to get a egr block off ordered up now.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
You just said its holding rail? Why bother with a shim kit and a lift pump? They are good things to have, but not needed for a tow tune.

Twan

May 25, 2013
Colorado
Your using the edge for the 0-60 times?? There is your problem.

I wouldn't rely on that to be very accurate.

It may not be accurate as the track, but I bet it's fairly close.

I already gave hard data with hills. Won't name the pass, truck new same trailer same load always pulled. 70 mph 4th gear wot, per gps and speedo, did that since new, now with tuning and delete still 70 mph wot.

Now I'm not saying it should do 100 up the hill, I was thinking 75 ish. Takes power to pull, I know this. I pull trailers. 24/7.

Twan

May 25, 2013
Colorado
That hill has been pulled many times a year, was always 69-70, summer or winter.

Now with the mods, pulled it the same as always, 69-70. Pulled it 6 times now since tuned not back to back, weeks apart.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
If your talking EFILIVE, the tuning is only as good as the tuner you got it from. If you got rid of the DPF, why do you still have the cat in place? You ditch one restriction, but leave another one? If you are tuned and have the DPF deleted, why wouldn't you at least block the EGR? It WILL pop open once boost hits as little as 16 or 17 on some trucks(had one I did pop open at 15 and go full open. Sucker smoked like crazy. Installed blocker and no more smoke), but by 20-22 it is pretty much guaranteed to be partially open and defeating your tune. I suggest you talk with your tuner and see what he suggests you do.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
What are your rpms's at 70 in 4th?

Why are you pulling up hills wot? Sounds like you need a semi.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
You need a better tune. EGR, down pipe, cat, air filter, whatever is not going to cause you to lose that much power.

Twan

May 25, 2013
Colorado
I left the cat because it's a pain to take off.
Also because the filter was new and failed with 20k miles. Didn't want to buy another filter.

4th gear at 70 is around 2800 rpms.

It's a 6% grade, the truck runs the speed I want everywhere. Hills slow everything down.

The tuner is Idaho rob.

If the egr is open tuned wouldn't it open stock too?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I left the cat because it's a pain to take off.
Also because the filter was new and failed with 20k miles. Didn't want to buy another filter.

4th gear at 70 is around 2800 rpms.

It's a 6% grade, the truck runs the speed I want everywhere. Hills slow everything down.

The tuner is Idaho rob.

If the egr is open tuned wouldn't it open stock too?
Depending on how the tune is written, the ECM may not deal as well with the EGR opening tune VS stock where it is programmed to deal with it. And removing the cat is no harder than the DPF IMO. An 11MM ratchet wrench and the clamp at the downpipe comes right off. It is a bit easier to do on al ift, but still not that bad. Yank the cat out and put in a diamond eye quiet tone front pipe(will keep the noise level about the same), and put an EGR blocker plate in it.

Twan

May 25, 2013
Colorado
Sweet, I never really looked at it, I'll have to get that pipe coming.

Ok, thanks for info. I will get a block off ordered up as well.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Soooo many people happy with ATP. If you aren't happy, tell them. Send a log file using parameters that they need, and they'll be able to see more than you think. You complained about tuning a while ago, should have mentioned it to them right after you bought EFI.

Twan

May 25, 2013
Colorado
Soooo many people happy with ATP. If you aren't happy, tell them. Send a log file using parameters that they need, and they'll be able to see more than you think. You complained about tuning a while ago, should have mentioned it to them right after you bought EFI.

I called them and told them what was going on, send log files. He said looks like everything is work. Maybe your turbo is bad, or your Tranny, or your egr.

Sorry but I'm not about to through $10,000 at this. It's a 65 hp time I know it's not a race tune. I know it won't be 2x as fast. I have tuned many trucks. Not my first time doing this.