EFI road runner?

CDR

Apr 19, 2009
What is it? I tunned a subaru STI once and it had these cool feature where it would highlight the block on the graph of the corisponding cell while the motor was running. Is that what road runner is? Is anyone using it? I know nothing about it.

Thanks for any help

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Road Runner allows you to tune on the fly while the engine is running. As has already been said, it is only available for the LB7.

1chevy02

Jun 23, 2009
If you open your tune while playing back your recorded logs, it will highlight the block that the ECM is using. It seems to me it is not always 100% accurate, that may have been fixed in later versions.

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
I have two, actually I had one of the first three Moates made back in 2006 IIRC, Guy Tripp and John Kennedy got the other two.

I bought a second one a few years ago, just to have a spare.

It is an emulator, no flash chip, just two ram chips with a bridge, works great for real time tuning and dyno tuning, LB7 only.

Moates no longer offers them as complete ecm's just the parts, you can pay him to build one then you need an additonal EFI-Live license.

My 2002 LB7 had one in it for years, finally took it out and put a regular one in.

Last time I checked they were around $600

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
If you open your tune while playing back your recorded logs, it will highlight the block that the ECM is using. It seems to me it is not always 100% accurate, that may have been fixed in later versions.

X2. I had no idea thats what roadrunner was, that sounds awesome though!

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Last time I checked they were around $600
They are currently $490 if you build them yourself, plus the EFI License. So count on $600 or so total.

My brother and I have one RoadRunner "guts" module and 3 converted ECUs: a 512KB LS1B, a 1MB LS1B, and a 512KB LB7. The single "512KB" RoadRunner module actually contains 1MB of RAM, so you can force the larger tunes on by holding Ctrl+Shift+Alt (or some such) as you flash. We just swap the "guts" into whatever core ECU we need at the moment.

I used it to tune my 60% injectors, and we've tuned a couple gas motors. It is worth every penny, IMO. My next round of mods would be horrific to tune without the Road Runner. However, real time tuning plus renting a chassis dyno for the day should make things go smooth :thumb:

I wish they worked on LLY+.
you forgot to mention how fast you can flash the truck!
full flash under 10 seconds:D
^^That, and you can full-flash while the vehicle is running. Not that I'd recommend it, but it works.

Plus you rarely need to do a full flash! It is usually just incremental changes sent in fast enough you don't notice. Even changing a full table is less than a second.
:happy2:

CDR

Apr 19, 2009
They are currently $490 if you build them yourself, plus the EFI License. So count on $600 or so total.

My brother and I have one RoadRunner "guts" module and 3 converted ECUs: a 512KB LS1B, a 1MB LS1B, and a 512KB LB7. The single "512KB" RoadRunner module actually contains 1MB of RAM, so you can force the larger tunes on by holding Ctrl+Shift+Alt (or some such) as you flash. We just swap the "guts" into whatever core ECU we need at the moment.

I used it to tune my 60% injectors, and we've tuned a couple gas motors. It is worth every penny, IMO. My next round of mods would be horrific to tune without the Road Runner. However, real time tuning plus renting a chassis dyno for the day should make things go smooth :thumb:

I wish they worked on LLY+.

^^That, and you can full-flash while the vehicle is running. Not that I'd recommend it, but it works.

Plus you rarely need to do a full flash! It is usually just incremental changes sent in fast enough you don't notice. Even changing a full table is less than a second.
:happy2:

WOW that sounds sweet! I hope one day its advailable for other trucks

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
WOW that sounds sweet! I hope one day its advailable for other trucks

doubtful. The LLY/LBZ ECM's are half the physical size of the LB7/LS1 ECM's. There just isnt any room inside the case of the LLY/LBZ ECM's for the extra components.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Dave, you built your own "roadrunner" ecm? Thats pretty cool.

I dont think they even sell them any more? but if you join there forum or even the EFI forum has lots of info to help a guy out! it is unfortunate they dont make them for the later years, but Ben really just exlpanined why:) perhaps if more sales happened with the lb7, maybe they would pursue the newer ECMs? not sure if its possible??? Ben would know if it would be even a possibilty or cost worthy?

ill tell ya one thing though it is the best thing ive ever bought for my lb7 hands down!!!!!