Edelbrock 1792 leaking

blue68383

Shooting for 11s
May 15, 2008
CA
My edelbrock 1792 lift pump is leaking fuel where the power and ground wires go into the pump. Anybody know what would cause it to leak from there? Can it be fixed or do I need a new pump?
Thanks
Nate

blue68383

Shooting for 11s
May 15, 2008
CA
Isnt the PPE lift pump just a rebadged edelbrock 1792 or are people getting better longevity out of it?

DURAMAXNV

Jul 31, 2009
Reno, Nevada
From what I hear the PPE and Edelbrock 1792 are, for the most part, the same pump except the PPE has a metal fitting where as the edelbrock's is rubber and tends to leak.

Diesel Pilot

Hat? Suitcase? 50 BMG?
Aug 9, 2006
Pickerington, OH
The shaft seal is different. I just replaced the seal on my 1792, haven't put it back on yet, and I'll likely wait for spring because these pumps hate the cold.

(Timken National Seal part# 350435) It should be $5, I bought 2 for if/when it starts to leak again.

WICKED DIESELS

you need more fuel
The shaft seal is different. I just replaced the seal on my 1792, haven't put it back on yet, and I'll likely wait for spring because these pumps hate the cold.

(Timken National Seal part# 350435) It should be $5, I bought 2 for if/when it starts to leak again.

These pumps are made by Essex Industries, their spec material was Viton, ULSD makes it expand. The National seal 350435 is the replacement for ULSD as we discovered and passed the info on to Essex. If the rotor was metal and the shaft had an induction hardened shaft, they would offer a much longer service life. We sold some that have lasted without issue for 3-4 years, some of them didn't last 2 weeks. I Abandoned the faulty design over 2 years ago, since Essex didn't want to further improve their product. We also incorporated a weep hole in ours, in case the seal failed it would simply leak to the outside, saving the lower bearing and the motor. It was a futile attemp as the shaft was so soft that seal quickly ate into them causing the leak to begin with.

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
these pumps are made by essex industries, their spec material was viton, ulsd makes it expand. The national seal 350435 is the replacement for ulsd as we discovered and passed the info on to essex. If the rotor was metal and the shaft had an induction hardened shaft, they would offer a much longer service life. We sold some that have lasted without issue for 3-4 years, some of them didn't last 2 weeks. I abandoned the faulty design over 2 years ago, since essex didn't want to further improve their product. We also incorporated a weep hole in ours, in case the seal failed it would simply leak to the outside, saving the lower bearing and the motor. It was a futile attemp as the shaft was so soft that seal quickly ate into them causing the leak to begin with.

i must have got a good 1792, its going on 3 yrs without a single problem:d

blue68383

Shooting for 11s
May 15, 2008
CA
Ive had it on almost a year. Im tempted to just buy another since theyre cheap and it would be very easy for me to swap it out. I dont really have the time or the money to change my setup since all the other lift pump setups seem to cost quite a bit more.

blue68383

Shooting for 11s
May 15, 2008
CA
Since Im going to be swapping pumps can someone tell me how to make a bypass for it?

DURAMAXNV

Jul 31, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Sorry when i said fitting i meant shaft seal as diesel pilot said, i wasn't exactly sure the name of it, im still new to all of this and trying to learn myself :baby:

Last edited: