Duramax won't start after fuel filter change

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
You guys kill me with this "You need a lift pump." There are hundreds of thousands of duramax's on the road that don't have lift pumps. Pressurize the fuel tank with a little bit of air watch for fuel leaks and then try and start it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

This. ^ If you find everything around the filter head is ok, then its time to put a little (around 5psi) pressure to the fuel system and find the air leak.

dk2429

May 30, 2017
Texas
Okay guys, found the problem, have the part. Just got the whole new fuel filter housing.. here's my deal though- I'm having a HELL of a time trying to get the 2 hoses off the current assembly. All I have to do is take off those 2 hoses and install the new one. But no matter what I try, those damn hoses won't budge.. any ideas?

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Probably easier to just buy a few feet of 3/8" fuel line and run new lines. No kinks.

But...tiny screwdriver between hose and pipe, very carefully, to break the corrosion. Dont puncture anything. Pliers with tape on jaws to grab hose and twist.

Sorry to hear your filter head was bad from the get-go. Hate to ask how much it was from a parts store.

dk2429

May 30, 2017
Texas
Done deal folks! Replaced the filter assembly. Loosened bleeder screw, about 10 pumps, tighten it back down, started up, purring like a kitten.

Lesson learned! Thank you folks for all your help!

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana
You guys kill me with this "You need a lift pump." There are hundreds of thousands of duramax's on the road that don't have lift pumps. Pressurize the fuel tank with a little bit of air watch for fuel leaks and then try and start it.

Yep that's exactly what I said in my last post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dk2429

May 30, 2017
Texas
Probably easier to just buy a few feet of 3/8" fuel line and run new lines. No kinks.

But...tiny screwdriver between hose and pipe, very carefully, to break the corrosion. Dont puncture anything. Pliers with tape on jaws to grab hose and twist.

Sorry to hear your filter head was bad from the get-go. Hate to ask how much it was from a parts store.

I got the entire assembly from the Chevy dealer that included the Acdelco filter and WIF sensor for $160. What got me was, the assembly by itself was $115.. For an extra $45, I got the filter and WIF sensor to come with it! Hell of deal if you ask me.

The thing was, there wasn't anything leaking anywhere. The primer was simply not pulling any fuel into the filter. That's why the truck ran perfectly fine, but when I went to change the filter, the primer wasn't working, so I couldn't get any fuel into the filter.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I got the entire assembly from the Chevy dealer that included the Acdelco filter and WIF sensor for $160. What got me was, the assembly by itself was $115.. For an extra $45, I got the filter and WIF sensor to come with it! Hell of deal if you ask me.

The thing was, there wasn't anything leaking anywhere. The primer was simply not pulling any fuel into the filter. That's why the truck ran perfectly fine, but when I went to change the filter, the primer wasn't working, so I couldn't get any fuel into the filter.

Sounds like you have a decent relationship with your dealer. Glad you got it figured out.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course

Ya $160 isn't bad I think I paid $115 for the same AC Delco parts on ebay.

If you pressurised the fuel tank it should of leaked even if it was the pump.

dk2429

May 30, 2017
Texas
Ya $160 isn't bad I think I paid $115 for the same AC Delco parts on ebay.

If you pressurised the fuel tank it should of leaked even if it was the pump.

I did do that to attempt to get it started, but it didn't help. I did get some fuel out of the valve, but still wouldn't start.

dezl

Oct 26, 2009
this is exactly why I put on a fass pump and did away with the factory fuel filter.

burrisjosh79

Aug 31, 2018
Priming a duramax lml

As with the lml after changing fuel filter or running out of diesel.... priming is almost impossible. Even after bleeding the air and pushing the primer a hundred times it doesn’t start. It gets air locked so what you do is spray a couple squirts of wd-40 in the intake and it’ll crank right up then after a rough idle it’ll self prime. Works every time

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
As with the lml after changing fuel filter or running out of diesel.... priming is almost impossible. Even after bleeding the air and pushing the primer a hundred times it doesn’t start. It gets air locked so what you do is spray a couple squirts of wd-40 in the intake and it’ll crank right up then after a rough idle it’ll self prime. Works every time
Unless the grid heater ignites it in your intake and it blows up in your face.

Pressurize the fuel tank a little bit with an air compressor via the fitter tube, blow nozzle, and rag..