Duramax won't start after fuel filter change

dk2429

May 30, 2017
Texas
Literally just got the truck on Wednesday. It's a 2006, and it's my first diesel. Changed the fuel filter today, and cannot for the life of me get the system primed back up. I loosened the bleeder screw, and have been pumping for so long that there's a blister on my hand. Can't get any prime at all. The truck has a little over 1/2 a tank in it. The only time I had even a little success was when I tighten the screw back up, pumped for a few mins, then she cranked up and died in a few seconds.

From my understanding this is common problem after changing the fuel filter on these trucks.. Any advice on what to do? I was planning to haul the boat off fishing in the morning but here I am 8 at night trying to get this damn thing primed up....

Thanks

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Did you make sure the old upper o-ring from the old filter didnt stay stuck to the head?
Did the WIF sensor tighten up when you installed it on the new filter?
Sure the upper o-ring stayed seated when you installed new filter?
Tightened filter properly?
Break/crack bleeder screw when you tightened it back up?

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
They suck, you can have someone crank the engine while you hover over the bleeder screw. Or pour diesel into the filter directly. But even doing that you'll still need to prime it good.

Lift pump my friend...a lift pump will be your friend someday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dk2429

May 30, 2017
Texas
Did you make sure the old upper o-ring from the old filter didnt stay stuck to the head?
Did the WIF sensor tighten up when you installed it on the new filter?
Sure the upper o-ring stayed seated when you installed new filter?
Tightened filter properly?
Break/crack bleeder screw when you tightened it back up?

Yes sir, the o ring came out with the old filter. Matter in fact, I put it away in my toolbox as a back up. The filter is on tight, as well as the WIF sensor. No air or diesel is coming out of the filter. Replaced the bleeder screw after breaking it..... I'm going to take the filter back out in the morning and check the o-ring again.

dk2429

May 30, 2017
Texas
What did you replace the bleeder with?

The same screw.. Went to Oreilly and got the same black plastic screw with orange o-ring. He looked it up in the computer and everything and it was the bleeder screw specifically for the duramax fuel filter housing.

I really am starting to think I have a leak around the filter.. I only tightened the filter hand tight because it would start to bend with an oil filter wrench.. Maybe I have the filter to loose.

How long really should it take to get it primed back up??

dk2429

May 30, 2017
Texas
You're getting air from somewhere. As mentioned above lift pump

Now I see why... Lol. I may end up investing into a lift pump in the near future..

I'm going to pull the filter back off tomorrow and make sure everything is on there right.. Going to call it a night for now.

I know there's nothing wrong with the truck, I'm just not doing something right or don't have something tighten down enough.. I'll figure it out in the morning

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana
When I change my fuel filter I screw it on DRy give it like five pumps until it starts getting hard and crank it up, but I don't just let it idle I give it a little gas in case it wants to stall but then it's good

dk2429

May 30, 2017
Texas
When I change my fuel filter I screw it on DRy give it like five pumps until it starts getting hard and crank it up, but I don't just let it idle I give it a little gas in case it wants to stall but then it's good

Wish my operation was that easy... I've been pumping this thing since around 4 oclock!

I really think I have something not tight enough. Going to check everything again tomorrow. If y'all have anymore suggestions on what to try tomorrow let me know!

dk2429

May 30, 2017
Texas
Update-

I went ahead and went to walmart and got a can of diesel. Filled the filter up, put it back in, cranked, didn't start.

Also, while the filter was off, I pumped the primer and no fuel was coming out. I'm not sure if you have to have the filter on for fuel to come out, but nothing came out with the filter off.

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana
You should be getting fuel coming out while you pump with filter off you lost your prime , yea a lift pump would def help in this situation , more than likely your filter head is sucking air , on big rigs I've been known to pressurize the fuel tank with shop air to push the fuel back upstream

matter fact the more I read of situations like this happening it makes me want to get one for mine .
my next mod for sure (fass pump)

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
A lift pump will not fix the problem. You have a leak somewhere that needs fixed. I have one at the shop now that has the fuel lines rusted through back at the fuel cooler. It will lose prime even if you just had it running a minute ago.

• Haha
Reactions: h.westberry

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Yep sounds like your filter head needs rebuilt. This is common when changing filters on these trucks. Your best bet is to rebuilt it for now. Then invest in a good loft pulp setup with filters on the rail and ditch the stock filter assembly all together

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Yep sounds like your filter head needs rebuilt. This is common when changing filters on these trucks. Your best bet is to rebuilt it for now. Then invest in a good loft pulp setup with filters on the rail and ditch the stock filter assembly all together
Loft Pulp? ROTFL :)

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
You guys kill me with this "You need a lift pump." There are hundreds of thousands of duramax's on the road that don't have lift pumps. Pressurize the fuel tank with a little bit of air watch for fuel leaks and then try and start it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
You guys kill me with this "You need a lift pump." There are hundreds of thousands of duramax's on the road that don't have lift pumps. Pressurize the fuel tank with a little bit of air watch for fuel leaks and then try and start it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

True. There's also tons of trucks that still have emissions in tact that run fine. But they run better and stay happy longer when certain things are done. Cp3 pumps stay happy when they have a supply to them instead of sucking it all the way from the tank. It's not needed. But it helps.