Duramax pioneer thread

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
I understand, I think if you give up on this sport, it is purely due to cost, and the only way to stay away is to separate yourself from it all together... That's why many people just "disappear"...

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
^^ That is exactly right. I wonder why I keep at it all the time, and Im not nearly into this hobby as deeply as most.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I understand, I think if you give up on this sport, it is purely due to cost, and the only way to stay away is to separate yourself from it all together... That's why many people just "disappear"...

It truely is like an addiction. Once you decide to quit you have to make a whole new set of friends that dont like diesels. I sold my lmm with the intention of getting out. Whoops, I guess I shouldn't have bought an lml...:eek:

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
Travis had his first son a couple years ago, bought a new house, and also got a lot busier at work at CAT. He didn't disappear, just prioritized like a lot of others I'm sure in similar boats.

He still has his LB7. We talk on Facebook on occasion.

btfarm

you know
Nov 25, 2010
Sandwich, Illinois
^^ That is exactly right. I wonder why I keep at it all the time, and Im not nearly into this hobby as deeply as most.
Mine have been (LLY and LBZ) daily drivers and occasional tow rigs all their life but like many I caught the bug in very early '05 with the almost magical days at DP where you couldn't wait to see what you missed. I had alot of other, more important, things I needed to divert my $ to but I sure as heck have paid attention to all that has gone on in the Duramax world since then. I just am an observer that has been there paying attention for almost 10 years and I too have seen an awful lot of names just disappear. You see some check in from time to time and it reminds you of what it was like. Good times and sure worth it to me.

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
Whatever happened to a lot of these guys mentioned in this thread? Are they just not active anymore? Or moved on to different things?

No one talks about John Kennedy, McRat, or Bobos tuning from what I see these days. These names intrigue me. Seems like I missed out considering I've only had a duramax for a little over 2 years

Big Chris

2 Duramaxes> 1 Duramax
Mar 30, 2010
Rives Junction MI
What got me interested in diesels was my neighbor back in 03. He had a straight piped 01 CCLB DRW and it just sounded sweet. So I bought my LLY brand new in July of 05. By September I'd put an edge J/A and a 4" exhaust. I was on of the first modified diesels in my town. What really sent me over the edge was going to truck pulls in northern IL in 2007. Paw Paw and Mendota. Got to see Jeremy Moss pull his gray LB7 he competed with in the diesel power challenge. I spent most of the day hanging out with the guys from No Limit Diesel Performance. There trucks really ran strong. That's Howling and NLDP (and Chris who isn't on the forums that I'm aware of). Moss won one of the pulls and it may have been one of the last pulls on his stock motor. Chris from NLDP won the other with his gray LB7 DRW. DuramaxSandwich was there pulling and his truck ran really well too.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Tom, you were no slouch as far as promoting the Duramax. You were one of the key players.
The DP was the key. It was magic and it may never happen again.
Never have I seen more enthusiasm by a bunch of smart people working together to make something work.
Some great friendships developed back then and a lot of enemies were made as some people got greedy. Too bad that had to happen.

Your right about DP!!! Man I'm glad I signed up on there. I met you, joe, pat, and Kat. Made some good friends that I can count on for good information. I was only 20 but thru talking with you and Pat, I had my LLY running well.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL

I got out of it for a few years. I got sucked into offshore fishing and wicked fast center consoles. I couldn't personally afford one, but the company I work for bought a nice fountain to take the big wig clients tuna fishing. We all got hooked and now have a 39 foot Nortech with 1400hp. Spent all my time running the boat, keeping it up, and staying on top of fishing. Now I'm back into this. You really never can leave this sport.

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Got a diesel cause I can't afford to rui...er mod it as much as I could with a gasser and needed something to tow my car with.

Have not regretted that choice once since I got the truck. :thumb:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I just read through this again and loved every bit of it. It never gets old. It was magic.:thumb:

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
I got out of it for a few years. I got sucked into offshore fishing and wicked fast center consoles. I couldn't personally afford one, but the company I work for bought a nice fountain to take the big wig clients tuna fishing. We all got hooked and now have a 39 foot Nortech with 1400hp. Spent all my time running the boat, keeping it up, and staying on top of fishing. Now I'm back into this. You really never can leave this sport.

So true, last year I tried saying f*** it and setting out and making some coin and not wasting a bunch.... By the end of August, we had it back up and running, and I spent more than I thought to get it back on the track... I'm going to put a Duramax in my '65 Malibu, but I fear how far I'll take it and I'll get carried away with another money pit...I'm going to use a lb7, stock bottom end and harness, with a remote mount s366.

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
Also I have some friends with nice places on the River and we go boating and hang out one or two weekends out of the summer... They all say, "if you didn't pull you could be up here drinking, boating, and partying all weekend every weekend.". That's where I would be if I quit truck pulling, but I have big plans in the works for next pulling season, and I'm looking forward to Scheid this year and all next pulling season!

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
Funny as I read through how the guys who are driving my inspiration were inspired... There are really too many to list and more to add all the time...:thumb:

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
I bought my 05 in 06' when I was 19. I killed 7 gassers in 4 years. I figured the way we raped cat engines at the rig, a duramax diesel would take anything and I wouldn't have to buy fuel to do it. Man was I wrong in so many ways, but I have learned a lot.
No one around here had diesels except for the old farmers. I didn't find the internet gang until 09'. I just thrashed and beat on it til the heads had enough.

fast03

Jun 15, 2008
Rancho Cucamonga
I just read through this again and loved every bit of it. It never gets old. It was magic.:thumb:

I just reread it too Mike. It was a great time, that will never be re-created. Meeting everyone and racing and a couple sled pulls thrown in while the HP numbers kept climbing. Going from stacked tuners to EFI. The whole thing was great. I was going through a file and found a couple magazine articles my truck snuck into at dyno events. Put them away to look at another day.