LLY: duramax knocking..

kman2468

Old Man Truck
May 3, 2009
the radiator hose isnt hard lol. but i was wondering if i bent a rod. which i dont think and am hoping i did not.

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
No sir, you must pull ALL glow plugs in order to get an accurate compression test.

Any particular reason why? I che'ked my 03 that way and all the cylinders were within 10% of each other.....which isnt to say that all 8 were bent but....

Why would doing it one at a time not be accurate? Is it easier to turn over with all 8 plugs out and only one cylinder making pressure?

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Any particular reason why? I che'ked my 03 that way and all the cylinders were within 10% of each other.....which isnt to say that all 8 were bent but....

Why would doing it one at a time not be accurate? Is it easier to turn over with all 8 plugs out and only one cylinder making pressure?

I'm not exactly sure, but I think it has to do with eliminating as many variables as possible, such as if you have a bent rod or two, fried rings.... Anything that will affect the compression of a cylinder, when the affected cylinder(s) come up on the compression stroke, they'll have less resistance at the top of the stroke than the other cylinders, so there will be variations in the crack speed that could throw off readings for other cylinders. When you only have the one with the gauge "plugged", the other 7 cylinders will have no impact on reading the current cylinder regardless of their condition.

It could also have to do with the fact that no plugs in the motor will result in far less effort to turn it over, thus reducing battery drain.

The GM "How To" specifically states to remove all glow plugs, as does pretty much everything you can find on the 'net through a Google search....

Now, will it be "close enough" to give you an idea if you rmeove one at a time? Possibly.

Last edited:

whitetrash21

Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
Ah. Ok. That makes sense. Never thought about anything else affecting cyl pressure when i did mine. Thanks, have to remember that.

kman2468

Old Man Truck
May 3, 2009
so does anyone still think its possible a rod could be bent if there is no smoke?

whitetrash21

Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
Very minor ....maybe. When a rod bends, your compressions ratio drops, and depending on how much bend it has is what varies the amount of CR drop. The lower you drop it, the less the fuel will burn completely, thus the white smoke.

Do a compression test, that will tell you a lot right there.

kman2468

Old Man Truck
May 3, 2009
oh mannnnnnnnn. hoping it is not that... ok thanks everyone for all your help BTW!!

Last edited:

kman2468

Old Man Truck
May 3, 2009
well i think it is slowly getting worse. i hear louder knocking everyday, no smoke yet.

kman2468

Old Man Truck
May 3, 2009
maybe i dontk now what im talking about and its normal? idk everyone knows more about these trucks than i do

kman2468

Old Man Truck
May 3, 2009
nope still does it. and no i didnt do a compression test. im just waiting for something to go. i hope its just injector that is waiting to go at any point

kman2468

Old Man Truck
May 3, 2009
i ran balance rates again..
here is in park
parkbalance.jpg

here is in drive with brake held
drivebalance.jpg

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I highly highly highly doubt you have a bent rod. If you did you would see balance rates out way more than that. Still try to do a compression test though.

kman2468

Old Man Truck
May 3, 2009
Can an fpr make it knock? Ik u told me on df u doubt it is a rod. And i would think if it was a rod it woulda fully bent or broke by now.

JMK777

16's, but i keep em clean
Mar 20, 2008
Moss Beach
Do you have a lift pump? if so turn it off at idle and see if it go,s away. log your rail at idle if you get a chance