Duramax in a Half Shell

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
A 2500hd shorty would still be well over 5000lbs. More weight needs more power to move it. Seriously...this swap would not be as difficult as you'd think.

SLCviaAK

wannabe
Aug 21, 2009
Salt Lake
I dont doubt your abilities in any way about completing this project. But it just seems that you are reinventing the wheel, when it seems that what you are after is just a faster/rounder wheel. A five thousand pound 2500hd rcsb is still WAY lighter than most of the four door, loaded beasts that lurk around here. The difference between your 1/2 ton plan and what im suggesting is what, maybe 800lbs on the high side? Just turn up the wick a little more. It would save the headache of trying to make a completely different drivetrain interface with a whole different truck platform. And there wouldl be less cutting and fabbing involved too.

Please dont misunderstand me, either way this would be a cool ass truck. Its your project, money, time, and thought put into it. Not mine. Im not trying to persuade you to do it any other way. Just suggesting. It could be my way of thinking working in a 4x4 shop, i would rather cut the back framerails in one spot. Compared to possible multiple spots, and then the headache of wiring/integrating a duramax into something that didnt come with it.

Please build this truck. It would be totally bitchin. I will gladly eat crow, if/when this rocket moves down the road.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
The whole point of this is to run my current LB7 stock-turbo setup in the 1500 and run 11.flat. No more "turning up the wick" as I think Im already juuust about there. :rofl:

Cutting up a 2500 frame to fit a shortbox would be FAR more work and require far more skill than simply added 6 spacers and a 2500 rad support to a 1500 body, and as you state, Id still be 800lbs (which is 4 tenths!) heavy. You cant do anything about weight if you're stuck with it and cant remove it.

Im no engineer, and my fabricator skills arent the greatest, but Ive put a great deal of thought into this. Granted its all theory right now, but Im pretty confident it would work like I think. The only thing that I may possibly be wrong about are the 1500 frame mounts for the motor....the "tubes" welded into the frame may not be correct if the truck is a V6...but that can be rectified. Engine bays are same sizes, cabs are the same, boxes are the same. Ive looked over frame specs on Upfitter for a while, and all the important measurements work 1500 to 2500.

Wiring is literally plug-and-play 2500 to 1500 if you use the correct year wiring harness. May have to transfer over throttle pedal harness to the 1500, and maybe have to add some circuits to the fuse box, since a diesel does use some things that a gasser doesnt, but wiring is relatively easy.

I was telling Camo that Im amazed that no racing shop has tried this before (not including DirtyMax and OrangeCrush). Ideal would be to find both trucks at auction. We'll see where this goes, funds allowing.

Last edited:

SLCviaAK

wannabe
Aug 21, 2009
Salt Lake
Again, i hope this comes to fruition. I now see your point of using your existing drivetrain that is already pushing limits. I think the build thread for the truck i was originally refering to was on dp. Lennart was the original. Then another guy with the sig Frieghtdriver (or something like that) did it with a 2wd.

Best of luck. Please document the hell out of it when it gets going. You seem to already have a ton of research done. Better to have a set plan, just winging it can get you in trouble ( and debt) real quick.

Id love to see this thing happen.

1lowdiesel

<- wish i was there
Sep 18, 2008
In
Nice project tom.:thumb: Can't wait to see it start to take form. And granted when you're talking about simplicity, cutting down a 2500 would be the easiest way to do it. But when you're talking weight doing it with a 1500 would be best. Just remember you will have to box the frame if you plan on racing it.

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
So why dont you find a 2500hd of 3500hd reg cab longbed work truck stripper model that already has a duramax/allison combo and just shorten the frame and drop a short bed on it? Then all the hassle of integrating a whole new (and foreign to that chassis) drivetrain is bypassed. There was a dude that did it (from germany i think). Think his name was Lennart (?). He used almost all factory parts and used GMupfitter for specs. Just a thought. One of my dream trucks (one of many) would be a 2006 LBZ Reg cab short bed 4x4 with a 2/4 ish drop, all the susp goodies to beef it, set of twins putting at least 600 to the ground on a no smoke tune. Perfect little street racer. And would probably get good mileage to boot.

I'd love to do what Lennart did but with an 06 6 spd manual.:thumb:

Good luck Tom. My orange truck was a 6.0 truck that we converted. If you go with an 01-02, I kept the harnesses off that truck just in case we did another conversion or I knew of someone else doing one.;)

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
You guys are more excited about this than I am. :rofl:

Raymer, thanks for that link. We have something similar here. I'll keep my eye on those.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Guy named "pooch" over at the Place did a 1500 shorty 4x4 last year. Say its fast as heck, and gets 28mpg. :eek:

keith2500hd

MOTORKILLER
Jul 20, 2008
Burlington,iowa
if you set it up strictly for racing, could you relocate radiator to bed. similar to offroad race trucks or go to smaller radiator. that might give more room for turbos. think i would cover bed and mount spoiler/wing, used to carry 4x8 sheets of plywood in s-15 and could tell traction difference over 50mph. just some thoughts. its easy to get excited when you don't have to fund it.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I found a 1/2 ton truck up near Belding in great shape, Julian...they want $2850 for it. Could probably get it for $2300. I dunno...still need a drivetrain for my truck first.

buildingup

Jan 1, 2010
Washington, Mi
I found a 1/2 ton truck up near Belding in great shape, Julian...they want $2850 for it. Could probably get it for $2300. I dunno...still need a drivetrain for my truck first.

Jeff is going to have a motor for sale sometime this summer...Can deliver free of charge.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Still have to find trans, rear axle, driveshaft, hydroboost, underhood harnesses, throttle pedal/harness, etc.....

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I have been considering the same Tom , I have a 2004 1/2 ton 2wd ext cab sort bed that I picked up this year, I could "merg" the race truck and the other one with 0 parts needed , I would have to figure out how much weight loss I would gain to see if it would be worth it but ......................................