Duramax diesel questions

dk2429

May 30, 2017
Texas
Went and looked today and found a 2003 Duramax 2500 with 216k miles that I'm very interested in. It's very clean, very well taken care of. Here's my only concern: The guy started it up. It was cold, and it started right up no problem. For some reason, it sounded like it had some kind of "lope" sound to it. Not like a lope tune, but it almost sounded like it was surging in and out at idle. Reason I'm asking about this is because the truck was low on diesel (light was on), and my buddy with a 7.3 Powerstroke told me that his truck does the same thing when it's low on diesel. I'm here to ask from the diesel guys what y'alls thought is on this. I am aware of the ordeal with the injectors on this year of motor, and am also wondering if that might be causing this? It wasn't white smoking or anything...

I revved it up, plenty of power, put it in gear and shifted normal, etc.. I plan to go back down there Monday and drive it to friend of mine that owns a diesel shop so he can run diagnostics and what not on it and check it out.

Thoughts on the "lope" sound..?

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
FPR is causing it to surge, normal problem. Replace it and all should be well, I would scan it and ask when injectors were done last?

dk2429

May 30, 2017
Texas
FPR is causing it to surge, normal problem. Replace it and all should be well, I would scan it and ask when injectors were done last?

That's what I was told on other forums as well. What would it cost me to change that?

On the injectors, dude told me they were replaced with Bosch injectors 5k miles ago. I'll clarify that when I take it to the shop to have it checked.

dk2429

May 30, 2017
Texas
Thanks for the info. I'll probably keep looking then. Found a 2006 I'll be looking at tomorrow. Thanks!

dk2429

May 30, 2017
Texas
Bit of an update here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3okO_EMoSAE

After watching this video of an LB7 with a bad FPR, I do want to point out that it sounds nothing like that all. Nowhere near like that. I did take a video of the truck running with my phone, but that sound was so small you can't hear it in the video. This sound is very minimal, and the RPM's don't move. It stayed at idle at a little bit above 500 RPM and the gauge wasn't bouncing around. If this is what these trucks sound like with a bad FPR, that is not the issue....

dk2429

May 30, 2017
Texas
Budneeds2beers,

In southeast Texas. It was 84 degrees yesterday. Didn't really get the chance to get it warm because it was just sitting there idling. When I say I revved it up and put it in gear, I just revved in park and shifted between drive and reverse to listen for any unusual sounds. If I do decide to go back and test drive this week, I'll keep that in mind. I found the truck about 5 mins before the dealer was closing.

NeMax,

According to the guy, the truck had new Bosch injectors installed 5k miles ago. Whether there is any truth to that, I'm not sure. He did say if I got serious in buying, he would provide all the paperwork from the shop/injectors. If I do decide on this truck, I have a friend that owns a diesel shop, so the owner of the truck agreed to let me drive it over there for him to run diagnostics and what not on it..

To the LBZ comments,

I'm going to look at it this afternoon. Trust me, I would kill for a classic '06-'07 with the LBZ in it. Only issue is, they aren't for sale very often down here, and when they are, they want an arm and a leg for them that I'm not willing to give. This one I'm looking at today has 178k miles and is in the price range I'm looking for. If this LBZ isn't what I'm looking for, I'll be looking at a 2005 with 245k miles... We'll see what happened and I'll keep y'all updated. I've posted a few times on here asking about these trucks, but I'm now a serious buyer with cash in hand ready to go when I find her. I'm not at all opposed to an LB7 despite the ordeal with the injectors, nor am I opposed to an LLY.

Question while I'm on my hunt: What are things on these trucks to look for? I know blow by and look for any black in the coolant tank, but is there anything else specifically on the Duramax to keep note on? Thanks folks!

dk2429

May 30, 2017
Texas
Well folks, heres an update.

Finally found her. Went and looked today, test drove it, checked it out, and plan to start the transaction tomorrow. 2006 2500HD with the LBZ Duramax at 178k miles. The truck was awesome! It did have a few cosmetic issues that I'm going to deal with when I bring it home. But mechanically, the truck was cold, started right up, shifted like a dream, and hauled ***. If all goes as planned, the transaction should start/finalize tomorrow. The real kicker here is, y'all wouldn't believe what we're paying for the truck.....If $9500 isn't a deal for an '06 in very good condition with 178k miles, I don't know what is. Caught the man in a bind, and I'm coming out on top..

Have one simple question here- One kind of oil is recommended in these trucks? Rotella T I assume?

dk2429

May 30, 2017
Texas
What does the truck have? 4x4, crew cab, long bed....?

It's a white crew cab 2500HD, LS model with power tow mirrors,seats, windows, etc... The truck does a few cosmetic things, but she's more than ready to roll. I caught the guy in bind due to divorce. He was originally asking $10.8k, but I talked him down to $9,500 pointing out the few flaws it has. I'll post pics when/if I get her. So far so good, but you never know what could happen!

The truck is fully stock

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana
Sounds good hope it goes through for you, I just got done with my hunt for a lbz took a while but I finally found exactly what I wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dk2429

May 30, 2017
Texas
Picking her up tomorrow! Took a few days for the loan to go through..

Question; what kind of oil/oil filter do y'all run in these trucks?