Dually Fender Cracks

jalexa5834

jalexa5834
Jun 10, 2010
Golden, CO
Is it possible to repair cracks in the "plastic" dually fenders? So far I've told the whole side has to be replaced and painted. Any ideas? Truck is 02 GMC CC/LB Dually.

Thanks!

tractor

Mar 19, 2009
Spring Creek,NV
I have repaired mine a few times with poly filler you buy at a body supply shop.
My brother owns a body shop and said 3m made something to repair them but didnt get the exact info.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Cracks can be repaired in the composite material the sides are made of. Mine was repaired once by the dealer prior to me picking it up. Story is a yard jockey clipped a car moving it into the service bay to prepare for delivery.

Should have seen my attitude when I seen it in addition to my request TO NOT prepare it for delivery but leave all the protective coverings in place as I wanted to prep it myself. Nonetheless they did a good job as you couldn't even see the repair once completed.

I've been told the skins are fairly cheap to purchase. You can also look for a body at garages that convert trucks to dumps ,flatbeds or utility box beds for a takeoff. I've seen them priced for a G'note or less . If your lucky you can find one in your color.

StuntHeavy

Jun 26, 2010
They are plastic right? I've used plastic welders tons of times to repair streetbike fairings. Heck, when i used to run full-fairings on my stuntbikes, I'd demolish a couple sets a season, and repair them in the winters. If you do it right, you cant even see the repair, but it is more temperature sensitive than other areas (more likely to crack again if hit in the same spot)

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Technically they are called a 'composite' so it's "I assume" a mixture of material. Perhaps a plastic fiberglass mix? I really don't know for-sure

I've seen broken ,pieces missin to just cracks and seen no fiber strands but I'm going out on a limb here figuring that a fiberglass repair would work.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Not really but I've seen a few on the side of the road for sale. Most likely because they've changed the body configuration ,mostly a utility box style.

Your best bet for a take off is business that do just that.

Good luck

Hey Mack, Any idea where to buy these bedsides for a decent price online?

Thanks!

Nick