Dry Sump Oil Setup

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Whats the general reason for doing this? And at what point is it typically necessary/truly advantageous to go this route? Certain HP threshold or et?

Just curious.

dtom

Feb 23, 2010
I'm pretty sure most folks who run one do it for a couple of reasons:

1. To get the engine center of gravity lower
2. To prevent oil starvation due to sloshing in the oil pan

This is why dirt bikes and road course cars tend to have them.

JMK777

16's, but i keep em clean
Mar 20, 2008
Moss Beach
Whats the general reason for doing this? And at what point is it typically necessary/truly advantageous to go this route? Certain HP threshold or et?

Just curious.

Its great for competition you can have a oil reserve as big as you want or as allowed, better oil control, can change oil psi, easy to prime engine, you can also run a very shallow oil pan. I ran this set up on my boat for a while it was alittle more dependable at a sustained 7000 rpm on a 427-BBC. if I'm not mistaken the Shelby cobras where set up with them on the 427-fords

Last edited:

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I knew they did on the faster drag and race vehicles to help with sloshing and G's and keeping oil off the crank.

At what kind of levels are they needed though? Any general rule of thumb for a certain RPM or speed or g-force??

C-ya

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
You can run a lighter tension piston ring package, due to the vacum the pump creates, if it's a quality unit (less tension/more hp). Less windage/parasitics in the pan=hp. You can also dedicate oil to specific areas, that may need more attention then others=hp.

Last edited:

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Windage and G's would be the reason. Anything that can create drag on the counters of the crank could cost you some power.

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD
yep keeps the crank out of the oil and if you have enough stages you can run a vacume, creating negative pressure in the crankcase makes more power beacuse there is less air for the pistons to push against

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Diggin this out of the GRAVE here...to ask:
Has anyone here used a dry sump oiling system on a Dmax? Specifically PPE's new Low Profile Dry Sump Oil Pan and a dry sump system ;)
Thanks!

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Plenty of sled pullers use dry sump. On a filled block/head engine it keeps the oil away from the engine heat, keeping it cooler. It also allows more clearance to run a Dana 60 or other straight axle with lifting the vehicle as much.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
What kind of pricing and setups do ppl run? I think I need one. Mine seems like it can't put the oil back to the pan fast enough almost. End of pulls it will be really jumpy and fall down to like 20 psi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Not filled block or heads. Decided against Both. I don't have an oil temp gauge either. Gonna put a fleece logger on it this winter

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I have a lot of blow by, I think it's pushing it up faster than it can fall back down. Explains the blow by and cavitation

GSXRTURBO1

Feb 10, 2015
Detroit MI
yep keeps the crank out of the oil and if you have enough stages you can run a vacume, creating negative pressure in the crankcase makes more power beacuse there is less air for the pistons to push against

Having a negative pressure (vacuum) in the crankcase also really helps ring seal, which translates to more power. And as mentioned, oil control is a huge plus... and no worries about aerating the oil.