LBZ: Drop the truck off with mark to get tuned

sterlinLBZ

Made the trip to danville performance today to get my build tuned in finally. Can't wait to see what kind of numbers it makes. And being my first duramax build I'm not gonna lie I'm kinda nervous about it lol:eek: but I'll keep it updated on how it dose

sterlinLBZ

Well not exactly what i was looking for, got a few things to tweek and get it running better but all in all the motor held together and made pretty good power for a DD, it laid down 585 horse and 1,136 ft lbs. i was wanting more but it looks like i may have a cp3 or something getting a little weak. Mark did what he dose and got all he could out of it but he said rail pressure wouldn't hold where it needed to be and the cam with stock heads other than springs is hurting the turbo only letting it build around 30 lbs. so ill probly have to whole turbo set up for sale soon and throw a bigger charger on it and see what that will do for it. but im happy with what it made and more happy im not pulling the motor again lol

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Well not exactly what i was looking for, got a few things to tweek and get it running better but all in all the motor held together and made pretty good power for a DD, it laid down 585 horse and 1,136 ft lbs. i was wanting more but it looks like i may have a cp3 or something getting a little weak. Mark did what he dose and got all he could out of it but he said rail pressure wouldn't hold where it needed to be and the cam with stock heads other than springs is hurting the turbo only letting it build around 30 lbs. so ill probly have to whole turbo set up for sale soon and throw a bigger charger on it and see what that will do for it. but im happy with what it made and more happy im not pulling the motor again lol

Wow, that's not what I would've expected either:( are the pumps in the ATS kit new or old? How comparable is the I.I cam you're using to the SoCal 3388?

Last edited:

sterlinLBZ

the top pump had about 1,000 miles on it when i bought the kit and i used my factor pump (got a feeling its the weak one) its got about 140,xxx miles on it and not real sure on how comparable they are. i kinda ran out of money with the bottom end parts and didnt do any 3" intercooler pipes or anything but there about to get ordered with a 3" y bridge. Mark said the cam with stock heads were killing the exhaust side and that was my major problem if i understood him correctly. So im thinking about going back to a big VVT and seeing how that helps out

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
I'm no mathmuscisian, aside from "one" weak pump, i would say that sounds like a cam issue, what's the lsa of the II cam, and what application/rpm did II say the grind was suited to?

Did Mark say anything about the cam at all, seems like if the exhaust valves were opening too soon you wouldn't be able to build boost?

sterlinLBZ

Heres the spec sheet they gave out. mark seemed to like the cam in other application but somthins just not working with it like i feel it should. id hate to have to pull the cam and swap it so ima look into a few other things. he said the rail pressure was commanding 28K but falling off to 24k or less at WOT
picture.php

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Cam looks solid:confused: although I thought the stock lsa was 112* I dunno, the specs on the new one look good to me, which isn't sayin much

It's always a gamble when we start changing stuff, I hope you get it dialed in soon so you can enjoy the payoff you deserve;)

sterlinLBZ

yea i was hoping for more. im going to start with air first and see how much that helps and ive been thinking of swapping chargers anyways, I loved the 366 on the stock motor well until it decided to push to much and blow a nice hole in the #7 piston lol, mark thinks a 72 or 74mm will help alot so im thinking go bigger for now and see if i can get my boost back up to where it should be. on the stock motor it was making around 40-45 lbs and now only 30

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
How are poor flowing heads going to make the boost drop? I think it's usually the opposite... poor flowing heads would create more boost (a measure of the pressure built up in the manifold) because they aren't flowing as much air through them.

And I'd think 24K psi with larger injectors is plenty enough to make more than 585hp with a 66mm charger. Are there any boost leaks? Reckon how smokey it is/was? It had better of been smoke-free if it was fuel limited on HP. And IF that's true, how is more air going to help if you're outta fuel?

Sounds like you may in fact have a weak pump but I'm wondering if you have a boost leak somewhere or something?

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
How are poor flowing heads going to make the boost drop? I think it's usually the opposite... poor flowing heads would create more boost (a measure of the pressure built up in the manifold) because they aren't flowing as much air through them.

And I'd think 24K psi with larger injectors is plenty enough to make more than 585hp with a 66mm charger. Are there any boost leaks? Reckon how smokey it is/was? It had better of been smoke-free if it was fuel limited on HP. And IF that's true, how is more air going to help if you're outta fuel?

Sounds like you may in fact have a weak pump but I'm wondering if you have a boost leak somewhere or something?

x2. With that small of pulse width, fuel pressure should not only made 30psi and drained the rails at all. I made 565 on my mild tune. Dropped my rail to 20000 with a stock reman lb7 pump

sterlinLBZ

Mark was saying the exhaust side of the charger was the most of it, can't remember what he said for sure. But no it smokes, smokes plenty. I'm not real sure where to start and not going to do much to it untilly marriage is over this weekend and were completely settled Ito the new house

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Hopefully Mark will see this and comment on here. Maybe he can explain it to us so we understand. He is one of the best on the business so its hard to doubt his opinion.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Theres more than a hand full of those same turbos making over 600 w/ enough fuel.

I still wonder if there's a boost leak? I would think if it were outta fuel it wouldn't be smoking. Sounds like its outta air & to be outta air & low boost, I'm thinking boost leak. Especially if this same turbo made 40-45psi before the build. I'd be surprised if your cam & springs increased flow through your heads enough to lower boost that much?

sterlinLBZ

Not 100 percent sure on the whole situation myself really the way mark explained it sounds lot better than I can lol, I am going to check for boost leaks and I'm more than likely going to be buying all intercooler plumbing here soon so that will fix it if theres a leak in a boot or somthing. I would like if mark would catch this and clear up what I'm trying to say and how he said it lol

sterlinLBZ

Alright guys, need your alls input on somthing. My air dog is kinda acting up. It's bogging down at idle and when I'm at a cruising speed and dropping my voltage gauge, and when I tap my brakes it jars it around I guess and for a second it it gose back to normal voltage then drops again. How much do you think that's hurting my truck with what all is going on with it?

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
FYI on an out of the box HTT 66 turbo with larger injectors, dual pumps and a good tune over 650hp is pretty common. Did Mark log it?? maybe you should log it and see exactly whats its doing