Driveshaft is history

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
Well Im sure many of u guys have grenaded the stock aluminum shaft. I knew I was on borrowed time for sure. We pulled in freeburg il last night and I got 4th in the open diesel class and figured what the heck, I will pull in the gas/diesel challenge. Had a good run going too, then my driveshaft stepped in front of a claymore! Lol they had me down for 1st place but we think they wrote it down wrong, I actually got 2nd, but hey I will take it.
IMG_6515.jpg

It was funny to hear the crowds reaction when it went. I haven't done much research for a steel shaft so if anyone has any suggestions let me know. My brother is a machinist and he said if he had the yokes he could make one but I don't know where to get steel yokes.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
You could have a thicker aluminum one made. Triple the wall thickness of what is there and go for it. A good machinist can cut the ends down for the weld along with the new thicker section of tubing.

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
You could have a thicker aluminum one made. Triple the wall thickness of what is there and go for it. A good machinist can cut the ends down for the weld along with the new thicker section of tubing.

Let me talk this over with my brother, he's a damn good welder and machinist. My only issue might b that the rear yoke on the shaft has a ding in it from contact on the pinion yoke. It might not b as bad as I think though.

Schwinn68

little gearhead
Jan 9, 2008
Minooka IL
Let me talk this over with my brother, he's a damn good welder and machinist. My only issue might b that the rear yoke on the shaft has a ding in it from contact on the pinion yoke. It might not b as bad as I think though.

when my steel shaft decided to exit the truck after contacting the rear pinion yoke, it dinged one of the ears on the driveshaft. I thought it would still be ok to reuse and turns out that it wasnt. I was just enough to not let a u'joint back in there and I ended up just having a local big truck shop build me a whole new shaft.

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
when my steel shaft decided to exit the truck after contacting the rear pinion yoke, it dinged one of the ears on the driveshaft. I thought it would still be ok to reuse and turns out that it wasnt. I was just enough to not let a u'joint back in there and I ended up just having a local big truck shop build me a whole new shaft.

Shit mines halfway worn through :spit: it is next to go...helloo AAA.

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il

I think mine did the same thing. One of the ears is dinged. I think I'm just gonna have a steel one made. If I could figure out where to get the yokes my bro could build it. Not sure if he can balance it though.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
I know Rockford drive shaft can make you a shaft maybe he can get the steel yokes?
Didnt the 01 and maybe 02s come with steel drive shafts maybe you can get 1 of those?I know john jmaz268 his is an 01 with a steel shaft

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
I know Rockford drive shaft can make you a shaft maybe he can get the steel yokes?
Didnt the 01 and maybe 02s come with steel drive shafts maybe you can get 1 of those?I know john jmaz268 his is an 01 with a steel shaft

Ok cool I will call there too. I'm leaning towards having my brother make one, my only cost would b yokes and new u joints. I know some trucks came with steel shafts but I'm not sure what years, or cab configurations

Schwinn68

little gearhead
Jan 9, 2008
Minooka IL
now would be a good time to upgrade to 1480 joints too. Randy's ring and pinion is where I got my new rear pinion yoke from. very good price.

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il