drive pressure gauge

mainer

Nov 11, 2008
need to add a drive pressure gauge to my twin setup before putting a bigger tune in and i've got a few questions.

from reading on other non dmax forums it seems people running a dp gauge setup using a copper line coil end up having to replace the copper quite frequently due to soot clogging the line. ???? anyone have any experience with this??

also is there anyone running a electronic gauge with a sending unit?? are these sending units rated for the heat they would be exposed to on the manifold??

please post pictures of how you have yours setup

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
need to add a drive pressure gauge to my twin setup before putting a bigger tune in and i've got a few questions.

from reading on other non dmax forums it seems people running a dp gauge setup using a copper line coil end up having to replace the copper quite frequently due to soot clogging the line. ???? anyone have any experience with this??

also is there anyone running a electronic gauge with a sending unit?? are these sending units rated for the heat they would be exposed to on the manifold??

please post pictures of how you have yours setup

i have not had mine in long enough to know about the soot .

Michael

ISSPRO Engineering Mgr
Feb 17, 2009
Happy Valley, OR
The ISSPRO Exhaust Backpressure gauges use a sensor rated for 275° F continuous. Our tests have shown that you need at least 12" of copper tubing for heat dissipation. We used 3/16" copper tubing on one test rig, no clogging problems so far (and that is with a 12-Valve Cummins, not the cleanest in the world).

Regards,
Michael Pliska

mainer

Nov 11, 2008
are you offering a back pressure gauge in the standard gauges or just performax?? i have 3 of the standard isspros and dont want to swith to the performax for just 1 new gauge

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
mines been in service at least a year and it has never clogged, but then my trucks a clean diesel anyway :whisle: didnt use copper tubing either :D

mainer

Nov 11, 2008

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
i guess i meant only offered in the EV2 series and not the older style non electronic gauges.

i'm certainly not spending $200 + on one gauge

i'll buy a 0-100 psi oil pressure gauge and run copper tubing if i have to.

i am just running a normal boost gage for mine . i have heard they fail from the pulsing though we will see i know plenty other just using the same.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
I use SS tubing the 12" is a good point, but it really only gets radiant heat from the manifold because its not flowing through to the gauge:)

Electric would be my choice and if you live in a cold climate point the tubing up so it can drain, mine would freeze up untill the truck was running for a bit. Condensation from the exhaust.

mainer

Nov 11, 2008
i am just running a normal boost gage for mine . i have heard they fail from the pulsing though we will see i know plenty other just using the same.

get a needle valve at napa and plumb that inline... crank it shut then open like 1/4 turn it will eliminate the surging and they are less than $5

i had to do this on my 12v cummins with mech fuel pressure gauge to prevent the surging, it will destroy a gauge very quickly.

what psi boost gauge are you running 60? or 100?

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
i guess i meant only offered in the EV2 series and not the older style non electronic gauges.

i'm certainly not spending $200 + on one gauge

i'll buy a 0-100 psi oil pressure gauge and run copper tubing if i have to.

i used a compressor guage for testing and then took it off, no need to watch 4 guages at once:D

LarryJewell

Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
I agree, but you have to admit that being able to glance at the gauge when something happens whether unexpected or not is convenient too:D

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
i agree, but you have to admit that being able to glance at the gauge when something happens whether unexpected or not is convenient too:d

yeah, yeah, now you got me thinkin about putting a dp guage in the overhead console or in the cubby hole in the dash

Last edited:

LarryJewell

Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
the dash cover with the 3 gauge pod, while not very stealthy, sure is convenient for looking at safely while driving

mainer

Nov 11, 2008
i've got 3 on the pillar, over all boost, primary charger boost, and egt, and i've got a billet mount i cnc'ed identical to trippins for the overhead console so i'm going to put a dp gauge in one hole and not sure what in the other yet

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
i've got 3 on the pillar, over all boost, primary charger boost, and egt, and i've got a billet mount i cnc'ed identical to trippins for the overhead console so i'm going to put a dp gauge in one hole and not sure what in the other yet
i have a spare as well either thinking oil temp or fuel pressure ( low pressure side ) .