Dragonfire 85%

Chadf212

Aug 17, 2014
Dallas Texas
So thinking about buying a dragon fire 85% over cp3 and I am wondering if I need to get new tunes to run it? Because I have a pull on the 23rd and don't think there is enough time to get tunes and runnin short on $$. Getting it cause my cp3 is weak. And just want a decent pump the first time

pizza pig

I Like to Party
Feb 13, 2012
CT
If you want to do it once and not twice stay away from the industrial "85%" cp3. Go straight to an Exergy or Fleece, Modified pump. Probably only need a sportsman type pump depending what your power goals are.

Chadf212

Aug 17, 2014
Dallas Texas
Ok ya I just read a ton on modded cp3s saying they are no good and don't last 5000 miles on a dd. ya I think I'll be happy at650 it's just such a PITA to change I dont wanna screw up.

redws6rocket

Apr 22, 2007
Odessa, MO
Call the guys at danville, they can get one of there lbz pumps out very quickly! Best people to deal with hands down! I run two of there pumps on mine and they do everything I need them too!

carpenca

Dec 17, 2010
Think the cp3k from fleece is good enough for 650? I guess when I want to go full big I can just add another cp3

The CP3K is enough for 650RWHP, but would be near its limitations on smaller injectors and a single turbo. If that's the max you would ever expect to make it would be great! Otherwise, the PowerFlo 750 which would be equivalent to an "85%" over CP3 would be what you need.

Quick crash course: CP3's are displacement pumps, like an air compressor. In order to deliver more fuel (quantity), in order to support more horsepower, you have to increase the displacement of the pump.

So... A Modified CP3 like the CP3K is a stock displacement pump. It is modified so that it can deliver full quantities (Displacement) over 3000 RPM. It does not displace more fuel, therefore technically will not support more HP under 3000 RPM than a stock LBZ CP3. Same goes for ALL "Modified, Stock Stroke CP3's". The benefit is beyond 3000 RPM. Assuming you have the air flow to support more HP, the CP3K will continue to provide Max pressure to either maintain peak HP or make more HP beyond 3000 RPM.

An "85%" over CP3, which in its title is a LIE, is generally a 10mm stroke pump. Stock is 8.5mm. Quick math says that is not a 85% gain in displacement. In a 100% Efficient world, which a CP3 is not 100% efficient, that's only 15% bigger.

If a Stock LBZ CP3 will make 650 RWHP, and if we gained 15% in displacement by stroking it, that gains us just shy of 100HP. 97 to be exact. Which ironically is why the PowerFlo 750, which is a 10mm stroked CP3 is rated for a reliable and repeatable 750 RWHP with proper supporting mods.

Maybe not so quick, but if you understand all of that, then you can now make more educated decision as to how to spend your money.

Heres the easy button:
http://fleeceperformance.com/fuel-system/injection-pumps.html

Caleb

Last edited:

Chadf212

Aug 17, 2014
Dallas Texas
Thank you so much man that really helped me understand :thumb: thinkin I'll go with a cp3k (no core charge) and keep my somewhat weak cp3 for dual fueler set up some day. Thanks again!!

pizza pig

I Like to Party
Feb 13, 2012
CT
Thank you so much man that really helped me understand :thumb: thinkin I'll go with a cp3k (no core charge) and keep my somewhat weak cp3 for dual fueler set up some day. Thanks again!!

There you go, things are a lot easier when you have a goal in mind. Great choice! :thumb:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

that would be a very good idea.

carpenca

Dec 17, 2010

You are welcome! They are on the shelf and ready to ship.

And so its stated, not only do we not charge a core charge for any of our CP3's, we also have a program that will buy your used CP3 from you!

Caleb