Drag Radials

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
I notice the Et streets are really soft, when your guys trucks are setting all week, would you take them off? Does it hurt to let the truck set on them?

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I cant say , i swap mine over at the track . worse case i can think of is causing a flat spot in the tire kinda like the old Bias ply tires do , i cant imagine it hurting anything else ?

May 21, 2008
Stephenville Tx
Keep them off the concrete and if you can keep them at a constant temp.I keep mine in the casa.

The set on my uncles dragster right now have 4 passes on them but they have been on the car in the shop for 5 months and there toast,dryed up and hard.

05lly2500hd

(903)293-6026
Feb 16, 2008
Texarkana, TX
not to derail the thread, but i've been curious....what do a set of drags gain you over a...say proxies? traction, lighter weight? but really that much diff, in a 4wd?

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
not to derail the thread, but i've been curious....what do a set of drags gain you over a...say proxies? traction, lighter weight? but really that much diff, in a 4wd?

Proxes dont hold a candle to drag radials , even in 4wd a sticky tire is needed . unless you are blessed with exceptionally well prepped tracks .........

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com

Once you get up to enough power street tires just won't cut it anymore. I swapped to cheater slicks before that point and didn't gain anything. I couldn't imagine trying to get traction on street tires anymore though - I've seen Ed Wayne try on Proxies and roll white smoke off all 4 of them.

Rob if you are going to leave them on the truck I would recommend putting it on jack stands at least.

Last edited:

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
Rob that's the same exact 60' times I cut last year when I was running 12.4s before and after the cheater slicks. I starting cutting better 60' times but running the same ET at a little less mph. But like I said with my current power I don't even want to try on street tires.

Slick

Jan 9, 2007
What was the difference in your 1/8th mile splits from street tires to the ETs?

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Whats the best brand and size to run?

The only 2 brands i would recomend is either M&H or Micky Tompson . I have the MT ET streets and so far they are very impressive , the other thing better would be a full slick .

As far as size the taller the better ( to a point ) but the only way you would be limmited against the popular 28" sizes is if you plan on running more than 120 MPH or so in the 1/4.

My MT's are around 30" tall ( 305/45R18) they should be fine up to 130 mph or so in the 1/4 . Maxxed out has ran over 130 with them though .

Last edited:

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
The only 2 brands i would recomend is either M&H or Micky Tompson . I have the MT ET streets and so far they are very impressive , the other thing better would be a full slick .

As far as size the taller the better ( to a point ) but the only way you would be limmited against the popular 28" sizes is if you plan on running more than 120 MPH or so in the 1/4.

My MT's are around 30" tall ( 305/45R18) they should be fine up to 130 mph or so in the 1/4 . Maxxed out has ran over 130 with them though .

Maxed out also has a duraflite, which the gearing helps out. I ran up on the rev limiter at 127, then turned the limiter up and ran 128.

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
What was the difference in your 1/8th mile splits from street tires to the ETs?

Well its hard to say, cause i did a few suspension mods, and got some more power at the same time. But mine went from a 7.0@100 to a 6.92@102. It has more left in the launch i think.

dmaxn04

Mar 1, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS
With a 4wd truck running drag radials, how do you actually get them hot and sticky? Not like you can do a 4wd burnout. Do you guys just roast them in 2wd and then lock it in 4wd? So a 28" is good up to 120mph? Thats moving!!

Last edited:

dmaxn04

Mar 1, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS

Also is your truck lowered all the way still with the 30" radials?

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
With a 4wd truck running drag radials, how do you actually get them hot and sticky? Not like you can do a 4wd burnout. Do you guys just roast them in 2wd and then lock it in 4wd? So a 28" is good up to 120mph? Thats moving!!

You dont get them hot and sticky, just go around the bleach box

J Spruill

bringer of truth
Mar 30, 2008
You dont get them hot and sticky, just go around the bleach box

i used to be a firm beleiver in this but have since started to heat the rear tires up and it lets me leave hotter and has thus drop 0-60 times...