DPF delete for a squad

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Meaning a certified ambulance?

There's no point with municipal or in house servicing and annual certifications. Big no bueno if ever caught. All that Medicaid theft would be given back in fines.

That being said it's the same as any other engine, can be done but for what purpose? I blew out more axles than I ever had an issue with emissions stuff on my rigs. We ran only Ford in my day, and I only worked in the field until the 6.7 came out

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
In many states, ambulances, firetrucks, etc, are exempt from emissions regulations. So depending on the location, it might be totally legal to delete the DPF. There are a number of good reasons to delete the DPF on an ambulance as well, depending on the drive cycles it sees. But I am with oscyjack, I am not sure it is necessary, as most of the time the emissions equipment works just fine.

If you are allowed to delete it, it should work just like on a pickup. Remove the parts, add in delete tubes / blocking plates, and flash a tune.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Meaning a certified ambulance?

There's no point with municipal or in house servicing and annual certifications. Big no bueno if ever caught. All that Medicaid theft would be given back in fines.

That being said it's the same as any other engine, can be done but for what purpose? I blew out more axles than I ever had an issue with emissions stuff on my rigs. We ran only Ford in my day, and I only worked in the field until the 6.7 came out

I've seen a handful of them deleted, couple 6.4's and early LMM's, small towns in certain states can get by with it for now but it's not worth the fines. Not to mention if/when the yuppies find out and try to file a class action suit against the ambulance squad for "medical problems from being around a dangerous vehicle"

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Not only that but liability of life. Mechanical failures because of or just having changed configurations would leave the municipality on the hook if a failure led to delay of care.

A tune/delete will have little effect on response times. Downtime for maintenance is already covered in protocols and there is always mutual aid.

It'd be cool to bring it for the requisite truck on site for car shows and stuff, otherwise I think it's not worth the time.

IN MA all state diesels have to pass the same emissions test as a private rig

Big Diesel

May 16, 2017
I was just wondering, have a squad down, chevy garage is saying the DPF is completely plugged and needs a new one for a cost of around 2500-3000 dollors, truck went into reduce power mode which I feel is a safety problem, and just thinking might be a better fix.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
What are your emissions regs? Are you on the crew or in the shop?

That's WAY too much for a DPF even if you keep it in. Shit I'll send you mine for shipping cost and you can fab it to the van.

If you can Yank it legally, there wouldn't be a better time

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Emergency vehicles are supposed to code but not limp

Or so I though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
yeah but it's a physical obstruction. It also could be a van conversion and in a private ambulance service the configuration is not always fed. Most of the fords I ran were all off the line chassis conversions from a normal rig

Big Diesel

May 16, 2017
Had a company doing a DPF and DEF delete, and installing a efi live for the delete, the company said everytime the try to install the program, it put up a black flag and wont work. any suggestion on a type to try.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Emergency vehicles are supposed to code but not limp

Or so I though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup then that guy in Texas with gunshot wounds died on the side of the road in an ambulance that went into limp mode, lots of cities are taking it upon themselves to delete emissions.