Down pipe burning firewall insulation?

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Just noticed today it looks like my insulation has been on fire some time or another. Theres a spot about 10"X10" right by the down pipe that is nearly white or very light gray and if you touch it, it crumbles to pieces. I have a 4" down pipe and its very tight against the insulation, just wondering if I need to be woried and rip the insulation off the fire wall. If I do remove it do I need to protect the firewall with anything like some fire proof insulation or something?

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
My down pipe is not heat wraped. It looks like I'll be pulling the insulation off tommorrow. I'm suprised I didn't catch the truck on fire.

mine is completely melted and it hasn't caught fire i wouldnt worry about it.

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
mine is completely melted and it hasn't caught fire i wouldnt worry about it.

:roflmao:

Notice in the first pic the ripped insulation, then take note in the second pic how the same engine compartment looked days later after it caught fire ;)

TwinTurboTwinCP3s.jpg

D-maxfire.jpg

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Damn Custom, Your lucky you didn't lose the whole truck! Now that I think about it, I would catch a strange odor through the vents every now and then. Wonder if thats what I was smelling?

1lowdiesel

<- wish i was there
Sep 18, 2008
In
Damn that's not good.

I didn't notice a bit of sound difference. The hood liner is what does most of the sound deadening.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I pulled the insulation off my firewall this morning and it was a PITA! My advise is to remove it when you replace your downpipe and or your turbo. Mine was allot worse than I thought. It had burned the entire area behind the down pipe from top to bottom and had burned a spot about as big as a basketball on the left side of the downpipe. The only difference I notice in sound is you can hear the turbo at lower boost. Before it didn't start to sing until 5-7 psi of boost now you can hear it as soon as you start accelerating. It's still pretty quiet though.