hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Thanks to James for helping me get my injectors and cups out, freaking return lines kicked my ass, I was sketching out :roflmao:

Ride in limo makes me want my turd back :eek:

I must say, Rob, your lb7 cup puller tool is amazing :thumb: I had injector cups flying everywhere.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Also, does anyone know how I can tell if I have the "new" stainless steel check valve or whatever the hell is new since the revisions in 2009? Injector number?

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
I think it is chromed ball seats and they were started on 08 and newer injectors Brian. I maybe wrong, but that's the info I got (had bogus info relayed to me lots though). There's a code # on the side of the injectors that's etched in that contains the year of manufacture or rebuild. I'll try to get a pic of some older inject # to give you an idea of what to look for.

On edit: Sorry for the crudy pic. The # I was told that the manufacture date is the second line down first #s (above the clamp slot). This one is faded badly but it says 03.

P5040416.JPG

Attachments

• P5040416.JPG
    P5040416.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
What makes the LBZ injectors better and why cant they be run in earlier engines?

Different design than the LB7s internal injectors. There much longer and thinner than the LB7 injects.

What makes them better? Don't know. Maybe that there not bathed in hot oil constantly? Maybe internal materials are a little more durable? Maybe both? :dontknow: No one seems to know for sure. Maybe Bosch? The LBZ injects still fail on occasion, but not anything like the LB7s do from what I've researched.

Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I must say, Rob, your lb7 cup puller tool is amazing :thumb: I had injector cups flying everywhere.

you mean travis ;) :D. anytime buddy. jsut dont tighten your return lines that much lol, tech must have been afraid of them leakin or something :roflmao:

JustinD

Plow Truck
Nov 21, 2008
Tiverton Rhode Island
I hope I don't have anymore injector issues, I did put a Donaldson 10 micron water separator under the truck between the tank and lift pumps, and I am running the CAT 2 micron filters in the stock location. It gets old replacing them every couple years.

Is it the shitty fuel or are they going to fail anyway? :mad:

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Different design than the LB7s internal injectors. There much longer and thinner than the LB7 injects.

What makes them better? Don't know. Maybe that there not bathed in hot oil constantly? Maybe internal materials are a little more durable? Maybe both? :dontknow: No one seems to know for sure. Maybe Bosch? The LBZ injects still fail on occasion, but not anything like the LB7s do from what I've researched.

Something somebody knows but it's a tight secret because no owner of these trucks know. All we can do is look at what GM changed starting with the LLY.

1)Relocation (out from under the valve cover oil bath)
2)Voltage
3) ????

I can't see the relocation that big of a deal . IMO it's more of a maintenance repair cost. Take away the hot oil how much different can operating temperature be?
Voltage thats more interesting but it wasn't a solenoid per say failure but the injector body (ball seat)

So I think (3) is just a complete over haul in injector design. Who has if anybody has looked at the injectors and seen anything different in design,material etc etc etc. I don't recall anyone saying anything about that ,side by side comparison or I missed it. Or it's just completely different?

I know it's been discussed to death but one thing for certain that drives me nuts is there is no definitive failure occurrence. Some fail some don't ,some eat injectors others get 2-3 times the life!!

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Quick update to this...

Havent done any work to it... :happy2::roflmao:

New DDP nozzles should be here sometime this week.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Also, does anyone know how I can tell if I have the "new" stainless steel check valve or whatever the hell is new since the revisions in 2009? Injector number?

Check ball seats. They went to chrome seats one revision and I dont know if they ever went to SS. I know Dodge went to SS check ball seats with one of the later 5.9 CR injectors.

KEVINL

Jul 4, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
someone is a bit cocky now that they no longer have a LB7 eh? :rofl: :D

I thought they were garbage when I had the LB7 I just got tired of playing that game

And I certainly wouldn't get rid of my LBZ to get a LB7

I had the updated injectors and they lasted 35,000 miles

Last edited:

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I got a good deal on my lb7 so I dont realky mind. I also think the life of the injector also depends on tuning. Kevin you ran a race tune 24/7 with high pw and pressures where as I dont :D 35k miles as much as I drive it will be a long time.