does this look like bad motor mounts?

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
James double bolted my driver side when my engine went in. I see zero reasons to have aftermarket mounts, they are very overpriced for what they are.

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
I figure I should chime in here. I just had my motor built and the MA mounts were on the parts list. I can tell you this...I read all the warnings written by the members here and I can tell you I agree that the MA mounts transfer some vibration not felt before. I will also add the severity of those vibrations is highly exaggerated.

All things considered.... I like the suggestion in this thread to use the MA for the drivers side and bolt the stock one. A good compromise it seems.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
I figure I should chime in here. I just had my motor built and the MA mounts were on the parts list. I can tell you this...I read all the warnings written by the members here and I can tell you I agree that the MA mounts transfer some vibration not felt before. I will also add the severity of those vibrations is highly exaggerated.

All things considered.... I like the suggestion in this thread to use the MA for the drivers side and bolt the stock one. A good compromise it seems.

I don't care about the vibe, the price is rediculous! They are very nice.....but aint worth it imo

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
I don't care about the vibe, the price is rediculous! They are very nice.....but aint worth it imo

You may very well be right. It's one of those parts that will be purchased by brand snobs and those who just always have to have "the best".

I made my decision after a broken mount led to my hot pipe snapping off one of my heater core coolant lines during a 4WD launch . Bolted mount I'm sure would have been fine.... I just didnt want to deal with that ever again.
null_zpsf6ccf271.jpg

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
i should have asked first i guess, but in my few years of reading forums every day i have never heard any of these complaints. now i dont know what to do :(

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
I just installed MA mounts on my truck and I'm getting a little rattle from the driver side. Checked the IC pipe and its good. Yeah it I can feel more vibration but it doesn't bother me at all.

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
So where would I get a grade 12 bolt? I have grade 8 bolts, but 12??

that's what I was going to ask. the only grade 12 bolt I think ive ever seen were metric and they were usually securing a crankshaft to a block in a c12 or c13 :roflmao:. and im not even so sure of that, they say 12.9 on them I think that means grade 12 :confused:

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
picture.php

here is a pic of my mount! I got the new ones in today and so far the only thing that I can tell that is vibrating is the plastic piece around the gauge cluster is making a little noise. pretty impressed so far

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
picture.php

here is a pic of my mount! I got the new ones in today and so far the only thing that I can tell that is vibrating is the plastic piece around the gauge cluster is making a little noise. pretty impressed so far

Yea, that's the trouble maker. Pull it off and get some felt tape and put it at a couple places and it should fix it right up.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
I'll chime in with my findings.

On my Dually I ripped mine in half at 66k miles with maybe 15 boosted launches. Got a new one and put two grade 8 bolts through it and never had another problem.

On my chev now it had 30-50 launches on them with no sign of wear. Took it out and put bolts through it as a preventative. Otherwise every time I would launch in the back of my mind I was worried that it would rip.

If I was going to do a boosted launch, I would bolt it up as preventative. I put two bolts through it and just drilled the holes through the molding holes already indented on the top and bottom of the mount.

I doubt there is a need for more than a grade 8 bolt. Unless the motors are torquing the bolts more than 150,000 psi.

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
so after a couple more pulls and some road time i will share my thoughts. just so you know i also did a solid poly trans mount and carrier bearing at the same time. it vibrates a little at idle, and at 65 going down the road which is 2000 rpm. other than that i really like them. everything just feels so solid now..