Dmitri Millards "Overkill"

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
What does it matter whether it was a 5533 or a 5541 as far as the gate is concerned?

Why would you "gate" any charger?

Last edited:

FORBIDN

FORBIDN ENGINEERING
Oct 23, 2009
Billings,Mt
Nice work dan!

Thanks everyone! We are working hard to get it finished up!

Here are some pics of the 6" Exhaust and 2" wastegate stacks!!!

The build looks great! But i would be hesitant to use those vibrant boost braces! We didnt have very good luck with the ball joint strength!

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
The build looks great! But i would be hesitant to use those vibrant boost braces! We didnt have very good luck with the ball joint strength!

Dmitri brought those to us for the install. Thanks for the heads-up we will keep an eye on them....

FORBIDN

FORBIDN ENGINEERING
Oct 23, 2009
Billings,Mt
Gating 5541

Maybe I am naive but I don't see anyone else dangerously exceeding the map of a 5541

My opinion is that overkill as well as the top trucks in the diesel industry are pushing the limits on these chargers....1800 crank horse requires 196 lbs/min of air to make that happen and thats in a perfect world at sea level. So as we build plumbing we decrease our chances of perfect world expectations are lost and as we decrease air density we increase pressure ratios driving the chargers harder...the 5541 doesnt like much over 200 lbs/min and this is a better to be safe than sorry wastegate!

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
My opinion is that overkill as well as the top trucks in the diesel industry are pushing the limits on these chargers....1800 crank horse requires 196 lbs/min of air to make that happen and thats in a perfect world at sea level. So as we build plumbing we decrease our chances of perfect world expectations are lost and as we decrease air density we increase pressure ratios driving the chargers harder...the 5541 doesnt like much over 200 lbs/min and this is a better to be safe than sorry wastegate!

:thumb:Thank you sir!!!!

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
If you guys want to gate it, I can understand the insurance of having it there, but I'd really be interested in the real world results and if that gate will ever actually open enough to make it worth putting there. That's all. Mine isn't getting gated...

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Not to mention a lot of nitrous runs through that engine... seems worth the extra time and cost to me

FORBIDN

FORBIDN ENGINEERING
Oct 23, 2009
Billings,Mt
Feedback from compounds

If you guys want to gate it, I can understand the insurance of having it there, but I'd really be interested in the real world results and if that gate will ever actually open enough to make it worth putting there. That's all. Mine isn't getting gated...

If you want to find out heres an idea if you dont already monitor this.....run a garrett compressor speed gauge along with drive pressure gauges and you can come close to figuring out what exactly is happening with your system.