Dmitri Millards "Overkill"

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
Thought you guy/gals would enjoy some pics of Dmitri's New truck. We are building a new twin kit for it and a few other goodies...;):D

Pics before we got started....

Attachments

• 100_3852_v2.jpg
    100_3852_v2.jpg
    547.7 KB · Views: 465
  • 100_3854_v2.jpg
    100_3854_v2.jpg
    658.9 KB · Views: 425
  • 100_3855_v2.jpg
    100_3855_v2.jpg
    704.7 KB · Views: 478
  • 100_3860_v2.jpg
    100_3860_v2.jpg
    686.5 KB · Views: 430
Last edited:

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
Sorry was having issues uploading them....

Getting started....

Attachments

• 100_3884_v2.jpg
    100_3884_v2.jpg
    686.2 KB · Views: 377
  • 100_3885_v2.jpg
    100_3885_v2.jpg
    644.5 KB · Views: 631
  • 100_3901_v2.jpg
    100_3901_v2.jpg
    548.4 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Can I ask why you guys chose to keep the rear shocks so much to the inside like that? Looks cool and all, but don't the wheels then have more than desired leverage over the suspension then?

xcablb7

Feb 8, 2009
Fall River
really only comes in to play when cornering tim, when straight line racing the shock position from center will have little effect

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
Can I ask why you guys chose to keep the rear shocks so much to the inside like that? Looks cool and all, but don't the wheels then have more than desired leverage over the suspension then?

My exact thought when I saw this pic a weeks ago. Looks like the setup on a tubbed drag car with a narrowed rear end, minus the narrowed rear end and tubs. I would have put the shocks much further out.

Who built the rear suspension?

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
really only comes in to play when cornering tim, when straight line racing the shock position from center will have little effect

I think it plays into straight line racing quite a bit with our trucks. all that torque transfers to leverage with our wide trackwidth and big tires. air pressure adjustments and shock dampening adjustments make a pretty big difference in how the truck launches. and that's with the shock in the stock location. now factor in how much harder the shock has to compensate when there is more leverage against it. it's a losing battle. our axles not only want to rotate on the axis of the pinion but also on the axis of the axle centerline. In order to keep everything rigid and controlled, I really think that the farther out the shock is from center, the more effective it is.

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
I think it plays into straight line racing quite a bit with our trucks. all that torque transfers to leverage with our wide trackwidth and big tires. air pressure adjustments and shock dampening adjustments make a pretty big difference in how the truck launches. and that's with the shock in the stock location. now factor in how much harder the shock has to compensate when there is more leverage against it. it's a losing battle. our axles not only want to rotate on the axis of the pinion but also on the axis of the axle centerline. In order to keep everything rigid and controlled, I really think that the farther out the shock is from center, the more effective it is.

I think you nailed it!

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org

I agree, but looking at the pics the way those brackets attach to the axle, the wheel to frame rail clearance, and the framerails themselves, it doesn't look like they can be much furthur apart (maybe a couple inches). I'm assuming this was a setup for a narrowed 9" that they adapted to the 14 bolt.

In order to get them a significant distance furthur apart would require a LOT more fabrication and a completely different mounting setup. While it could have been designed better (from a physics standpoint), without a ton of extra modification, this looks to be worlds better than the factory suspension so maybe that's what they were going for (better, not the best). I know I've made many a compromise for one reason or another (sometimes it just boils down to time and money).

Regardless, looking forward to how it performs at the track. :thumb:

xcablb7

Feb 8, 2009
Fall River
im sure there is an advantage to the shocks being farther out, but how much ? enough to make a differnece worth reconstructing the whole back half of the truck? with the increased room you would have to free up would you make room for bigger tires or move the shocks out ? in a class with limited tire size yes make the shock position ideal but if you can move the shocks in and increase tire size go that route. the drag cars i've worked on very rarely needed a different shock setting side to side in the rear, yet the fronts were almost never the same. this is all based off experience no theory or physics at all

RKTMech

Idiot with a wrench
Aug 18, 2008
The Norco's
Thanks for sharing the pics, those back side pics are way better than his or his
girlfriends :hug: Looks nice and tidy :thumb:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

thats where link placement is most prominate. when the rear of the truck is at best 2500lbs, then maybe transfers back 3-4k total, your not dampening much and its only one hit going one direction which can be easily compensated. we are not going down a whooped out road at 120mph with changing axle movements from side to side. all the shocks are suppose to do is dampen suspension movement, not pinon change, not axle rotation, ect in a link setup. the links take care of that. if your doin that in a leaf spring setup, your bandaiding the problem