Diesel Power Magazine Challenge:

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
Couple things to consider for this event if people think 9's are in the cards...Track prep is the worse I have ever seen on a race track, and high elevation will slow everyone down. Only a few entrys last year were not sucking on a bottle. So....bring it all. The winner of 08 has dyno'd 1400HP and I don't think he even ran into the 10's IIRC during that event.

Very cool event.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Couple things to consider for this event if people think 9's are in the cards...Track prep is the worse I have ever seen on a race track, and high elevation will slow everyone down. Only a few entrys last year were not sucking on a bottle. So....bring it all. The winner of 08 has dyno'd 1400HP and I don't think he even ran into the 10's IIRC during that event.

Very cool event.
i agree with rob , we have a tuff track custom auto's truck that dynoed 1200 hp ( alot of nitrous but still ) i have seen wade and damitri run that truck at our track and i dont think he got under 11.50 dont know how much he sprayed but it is still harder we have d/a that can hit 6000-7000 ft and as rob said the track prep usually sucks should be interesting .

IBDMAX'IN

Aug 27, 2008
i agree with rob , we have a tuff track custom auto's truck that dynoed 1200 hp ( alot of nitrous but still ) i have seen wade and damitri run that truck at our track and i dont think he got under 11.50 dont know how much he sprayed but it is still harder we have d/a that can hit 6000-7000 ft and as rob said the track prep usually sucks should be interesting .

That track definently needs better prep, I would have to agree with Rob, it's one of the worst I've been to when it comes to prep and traction. Mix that with high elevation and you have a hard combo for fast times.

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
Pat, your truck isn't looking much like a street truck after the new pics posted today.:D

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Pat, your truck isn't looking much like a street truck after the new pics posted today.:D

I was driving it over to Mike L's, and a guy pointed at the back of my truck and starting waving his arm at me:

"Hey mister! You've got something hanging off your truck!!!"

"Oh, that's just a parachute strap. Keeps the tailgaters away."

:D

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
From what I saw being there last year, the winner is going to have to spray. Although Al Babneau, the fellow who took second did not spray his dodge and was running a set of MPI twin turbo's. He could have won it if he had had a little more experience drag racing and pulling.

A couple of things I wish they would change, the fuel mileage should be one of the events, not just a tie breaker, the dyno event should use both HP and Torque not just Torque. I also question using propane or LG as part of the fuel economy test, but it was within the rules, at least last year. You don't have to win any of the events, you just have to place high in most all of them to win.

I'd like to see a real drag race between the drivers if there is a tie. First truck to the finish line wins. Having to use the same tires and weight set up for all the event really levels the playing field. You need to have your truck ready to pull pretty well, with tires you can also drag race with. That's tough. Get a good run in on the drag race then wait and see if anyone beats your time. Can get a bit hectic toward the end of the drag racing qualifing if a couple of truck are trying to out do the other. A big clock at the starting line showing how much time is left to qualify is needed as well. The Dodges came loaded for bear last year. One of the strongest ones broke first time down the track, as did a couple of others. i'm sure they will be back bigger and better this year. Would like to see some good Fords, didn't happen last year but hopefully it will this year. The only one that did any good was running a cummins backed by an allison. Go figure.

I really believe the rules need to be more closely followed this year. If you miss you turn in an event you are out of that event. That did not happen last year. Also, the same driver should have to compete in all events, that didn't happen either, same truck.

It should be a good event again this year, hopefully I'll get to attend again.

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
Also, the same driver should have to compete in all events, that didn't happen either, same truck.

Was this just on the dyno? IIRC I read that somewhere Just curious seeing most dyno's around here don't even let you run your on truck.

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
Yes Kat, it was the dyno. Everyone ran their truck except one and it wasn't the dyno operator, but the actual truck owner. Most of the guys at the event would not allow anyone else to run their truck, I wouldn't let anyone I didn't know run mine either.

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
Yes Kat, it was the dyno. Everyone ran their truck except one and it wasn't the dyno operator, but the actual truck owner. Most of the guys at the event would not allow anyone else to run their truck, I wouldn't let anyone I didn't know run mine either.

OK.. When Pat was in it in 06 it was at Westech and the dyno guys did it. We still use that dyno most times since it's only 20 minutes from our house.

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
Hey Pat, if Kat doesn't get picked you should go upto the Norcal diesel rally & do the tough truck challenge(drag racing,dyno & sled pull) plus they have a bounty if anybody comes in 1st other than Nick.

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
Just filled out and submitted my application for the red truck. It's a 03 chev single cab long bed I bought from Nick of TDP. It's a super street drag racing truck but Rob and Nathan talked me into entering it. Now we'll see if it gets picked.;)

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Hey Pat, if Kat doesn't get picked you should go upto the Norcal diesel rally & do the tough truck challenge(drag racing,dyno & sled pull) plus they have a bounty if anybody comes in 1st other than Nick.

Truth is, it's unlikely that we will get drawn, and even if we do, it will probably interfere with our scheduled racing.

But I'm pretty sure I could snuff out the Dodges. :D

The Tough Truck might be a more practical event.