Diagnose this bad pull

Stancedlb7

Cummin Stroke this Duramax
Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
What if it wasn't a fuelling issue? Maybe a boost leak causing the ecm to pull fuel. Or maybe I'm crazy. :screwy:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
My guess on your compression for 2 & 7 is possible washed cylinders... If those cylinders over fueled at some point it is possible that the cross hatch was wiped off due to the fuel washing the oil away. The cylinder won't be scarred but very clean and shiny with little to know cross hatch very similar to being dusted. It would explain why they have next to nothing on a compression test but not max out the balance rates. Running those two cylinders probably have enough compression to have some limited combustion. You might be able to ck them with a temp gun. Have someone stall the truck and build some boost while you shoot the exhaust manifold at the head and see what those 2 cylinders are compared to the other 6. Anywo just a couple ideas sitting here thinking...

As for the defuel??? I would look at MAF as James mentioned.

What pistons, rings & compression ratio? Who's Injectors are running?

Also was this the engine that had the oil squirter come loose? If it was, which cylinder was it?

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Thanks for the input! I bet your right about the washed cylinder, I wasn't sure what it would look like but that's prolly it. It's the same engine yes. No not the same cylinder the squirter fell out of. This is a low compression custom wiseco piston, they have total seal rings. Exergy injectors, just tested before engine was put together again.

But there is no defuel going on according to the log! But there sure looks like it in real life lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
If it had 0 compression, there is no way it would sounds as good as it does. You can tell its firing on all cyl

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
If it had 0 compression, there is no way it would sounds as good as it does. You can tell its firing on all cyl

It could be real low just rolling over with the starter (doing a comp. test) but once running the speed of the piston will over come some of the loss of seal from the rings... He also has blow by, which got me to thinking about cylinder wash. No idea on the de-fuel issue though?

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
If coolants not leaking external Not a blown head gasket. Or a cracked head where would it go? I've got a strong smell of it after the pulls. I'm gonna try and get an oil sample done on it.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
It's custom plumbing with a automotive pump. Pump has pressure, cp3s have pressure rails pressured. Injecting what I command when commanded and holding all the pressure in the world.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I've got standard spray angle on the injectors. I'll have to really look at the truck tomorrow. I might have to pull the short lock out now I guess

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
It could be real low just rolling over with the starter (doing a comp. test) but once running the speed of the piston will over come some of the loss of seal from the rings... He also has blow by, which got me to thinking about cylinder wash. No idea on the de-fuel issue though?

Na I don't see it. You would see something on compression then. 0 is BAD so I'd much rather say he has a faulty gauge or it wasn't screwed in well enough. My truck has blow by as do a lot of these truck, some is common. The only way to tell if your blow by is too much is a leak down test

If coolants not leaking external Not a blown head gasket. Or a cracked head where would it go? I've got a strong smell of it after the pulls. I'm gonna try and get an oil sample done on it.

Sure it's not puking from the surge tank onto hot parts or have a leak that opens up under high load and pressure that pissing some out?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I've got standard spray angle on the injectors. I'll have to really look at the truck tomorrow. I might have to pull the short lock out now I guess

If you washed cyls you would see it in the cyl bore. Cross hatching would be gone and the cyl would not look all that great. I would have done a leak down test before pulling them heads

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Na I don't see it. You would see something on compression then. 0 is BAD so I'd much rather say he has a faulty gauge or it wasn't screwed in well enough. My truck has blow by as do a lot of these truck, some is common. The only way to tell if your blow by is too much is a leak down test

Sure it's not puking from the surge tank onto hot parts or have a leak that opens up under high load and pressure that pissing some out?

Well it's a harbor freight gauge how accurate do you think it is?;) Blow by is common, but how bad is Ben's? I assume it's pretty bad if he mentioned it... Right Ben?

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I think it's pretty bad but there's not many Duramaxs set up like mine i I guess. I put shop 50 pound regulated air into the cylinder and it was registering 40 iirc blowing past the rings.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I think it's pretty bad but there's not many Duramaxs set up like mine i I guess. I put shop 50 pound regulated air into the cylinder and it was registering 40 iirc blowing past the rings.

Non Keystone rings in the Wiseco correct?

Last edited:

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
No filter.

All those cylinders look fine to me. I'm gonna have the cat dealer do a fuel sample to find what was in the oil. Is it possible that maybe the oil was just thin and (actually was drained out) while doing a compression test. Could that be why they didn't seal?