Diagnose this bad pull

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I need some help trying to figure out whats up with my truck. Anyone have any ideas off of just this video? Ive had 2 test hooks and 1 real pull this far and everytime its done this samething where it loses power. It feels like its just run out of fuel. But logs show its fine. BTW I still run a MAF
[YOUTUBE]PbYXQ1uLXvs[/YOUTUBE]

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Seems like your falling under the charger and when it is, you see smoke really quit coming out the stack. Have you tried no maf limiting?

Fahlin Racing

Aug 22, 2012
NE Ohio
Not sure if its me, but, I think you took off while you were winding up the engine not allowing your engine to produce a good initial pull off of the line. Also the engine sounds like its seems to not be fully 'opened' or maybe more accurately, have a constant-tone engine sound in either acceleration or decel during the weight increase as your progress down the tracks happens. I have not the experience to say what it is but it sounded off to me. Lack of air? Lack of air control? Is there any communication change done that could de-rate the engine? You said things looked well, we just need more opinions, more clear than mine since I did not shed much light, just opinion, that I am sure wasn't worth much.

Did you log what you had for readings?

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
^^what?

Really seems like you're running out of fuel. Can't keep the rpms up. Can't keep the charger lit. Can you post a log?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

May 8, 2011
falling under charger for sure. ur leaving the line pretty fast for the how long the turbo has been lit. I know the turbo sounds spooled but mabe not enough heat in the exhaust?? I would try spooling for a little longer on the line before leaving also its definitely not getting all the fuel it needs or you have a lot of charger cause there's not to much smoke

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Yes falling under the charger defiantly is what killed it. By why would it die out? Weight tranfser in sled and heat should keep it alive and drive it even harder once lit. Why would the smoke look like its going away? Even when the log shows its holding perfect pressure, energizing the same durations and timing has not changed? It has a maf, but it wasn't holding back fuel delivery.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Same charger as last year Ben?

Yes same charger. Also heavy coolant smell after pulls. Balance rates show little to no fuel added on #2, and #7. But they also showed no compression on my harbor freight tester. How is that possible? If there was zero compression wouldn't it max out mm3 to 17

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
Yes same charger. Also heavy coolant smell after pulls. Balance rates show little to no fuel added on #2, and #7. But they also showed no compression on my harbor freight tester. How is that possible? If there was zero compression wouldn't it max out mm3 to 17

Usually does +15... 0 psi compression?!? Or just lower compression?

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Usually does +15... 0 psi compression?!? Or just lower compression?

It said zero, I'm second guessing that maybe it didn't screw in and seal where it's on the left end of each head. But, I used that same kit before and it's worked fine. The head gasket wasn't blown. I've already got both heads off. They look fine. And gonna have the machine shop pressure test each head, visual inspection on them they also look fine.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Coolant is getting into the oil somewhere though. It goes somewhere and when I drained the cold engine oil it was very thin.

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
It said zero, I'm second guessing that maybe it didn't screw in and seal where it's on the left end of each head. But, I used that same kit before and it's worked fine. The head gasket wasn't blown. I've already got both heads off. They look fine. And gonna have the machine shop pressure test each head, visual inspection on them they also look fine.

I've accidentally not snapped the quick connect on fully and got no reading.... But 2 cylinders would be less likely.

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
Coolant is getting into the oil somewhere though. It goes somewhere and when I drained the cold engine oil it was very thin.

Sounds like fuel, cold engine oil, coolant would have been milky light brown, or coolant would have separated and sank to the bottom of the pan and drained out first.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Sounds like fuel, cold engine oil, coolant would have been milky light brown, or coolant would have separated and sank to the bottom of the pan and drained out first.

I know coolant normally turns creamed coffee brown. But where this is just a pulling truck I had only assumed that maybe it turns that way on other vehicles from running heated so long? I guess not. I had actually thought it might have been fuel before that. But where in the world would fuel get in there from?!

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
There is a lot of blow by. Possible to have such a bad ring seal that it's throwing all the fuel past the rings and slowly adding to the oil? I mean that would be a lot I would venture to guess I would see some scarring on the cylinder from being so loose??

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You can hear and see the truck start loading hard when you first let the clutch out and as soon as rpms drop from full clutch release, it never regains rpm as if it's not staying on top of the charger, that is what I'm looking at and seeing. Will it stay on the charger running down the road in a wot situation?