DHD engine tear down of the runaway

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Tony does a cool step by step tear down of the engine in this video. Couldn’t find it on YouTube nor could I link to it on fb using my phone but here is a snap shot to search it.

b2c92cf6c38521585282734bfce0bac6.jpg

Seriously impressive how good of shape everything is. Curious if the rods stretched some and that’s what led to the piston to head contact.

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
Kind of glad I went to UCC. That was Incredible how dhd got that thing ready for the pull event the next day!.

I hate to point fingers towards oil too. But anybody else cenpeco fans

Since 2012 from my first lb7 and now to my lbz, only ran cenpeco, specifically cause I have seen how it holds up to junk yard machines. Over heating and dusty as all heck in the summer, freezing cold and fuel knocking in the winter.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Yep, caught a short video he posted on IG. Bearings looked amazing, even though it chucked the dry sump belt and ran away with no oil pressure! Too bad it smoked the electronics, would be interesting to see a datalog, like Tony claimed in the video it probably spun 10k, was screaming for sure

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
Vendor/Sponsor
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Yeap, it's why we use Cenpeco in all our motors also! It does a great job in the worse of conditions for sure! I'm personally impressed that it stayed together and I think the fact it had lighter weight rotating assembly with the aluminum rods are part of the reason it stayed together and held up to this situation! Steel rods would have most likely thrown out the block.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
I run Cenpeco in my trucks (20w50 super race in my built motor and 15w40 s3 in my daily driver) and all this does is reaffirm my choice. Its a very very well priced oil for insane quality/performance.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
Vendor/Sponsor
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
mark any data logs survive to show rpm max just curious of numbers tony said presumably 10k:confused:

No sir, it let go at 4700rpms under load and shorted the ecm at that point but from the seat I can tell you when it ran away it went to the moon just from the sound of it. I've personally run a max of 7200rpms on my engine dyno and Tony's motor was running way more than that. I wish we had it on log for sure. Listen to the video closely and you will see what I'm talking about on it.

Robby Avery

GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
Jul 31, 2008
Norman Park, Georgia
No sir, it let go at 4700rpms under load and shorted the ecm at that point but from the seat I can tell you when it ran away it went to the moon just from the sound of it. I've personally run a max of 7200rpms on my engine dyno and Tony's motor was running way more than that. I wish we had it on log for sure. Listen to the video closely and you will see what I'm talking about on it.

Yes sir I was watching the whole ucc live on a stream and witnessed it just like I was there. I can only imagine the in cab sound hopefully nothing like that happens again but things do all the time we just say thank you Lord and move on as y'all did with the sled pull turn around. hopefully never again but a corsa data logger mounted down low would survived if the sensor was say on the upper oil bolt or dry sump bolt out of harms way. glad your ok gotta ask what kinda brakes were on there they were glowing?