Debating straight axle

DefiantArms

Limp Mode Cowboy
Jan 28, 2016
St. Augustine, FL
So a lot of stuff needs replacing on the front end of my truck idler, pitman, tie rods, both hubs, planning on changing the A arms, seals in the chunk need replacing so basically need an all new front drive line and was curious I've always like the idea of going solid front axle should I use this as a reason or excuse to do so? Or just bulk up everything with heavy duty components? If I did straight axle it would be a 4 link on bags and would 4 link/bag the back axle too :) thoughts? Opinions? Thanks in advance

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Lol here comes the shit storm...

Do a quick search bud this has been debated many times over and over, with good arguments for either one. You just need to decide what your truck is going to be used for most of the time. Or just do what you want and give the haters the middle finger:D

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Cost wise? Not worth it, I looked into it.

By they time you find a good Dana 60 and change gears (unless you get an 03+ dodge front axle), and get the correct steering parts changed over, and buy or fab mounts you are almost double what new front IFS parts cost.

Is it cool? Yea, I don't blame people for doing the swap. I can't justify the cost.

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
Solid axles are simple, tough and bad ass for a lot of applications for wheeling and what not.

IFS rides a lot better for dd'ing. Can be made tough with beefy components. Do well wheeling in a lot of terrain.

SAS'd duramaxes are bad ass. There aren't a lot of them. They're definitely a head turner. Definitely not cheap to do, even if you do the work yourself. You won't be able to go back to IFS if you ever wanted to. I think WCFab leaves all IFS tabs and brackets in place (don't quote me on that).

Beefing up the IFS would be cheaper. Do look bad ass with the right components and can take a beating.

It all boils down to what you want to do with your truck. If you just want it to look bad ass and are tired of replacing subpar IFS components. And don't really off road your truck other than the typical fire road or camping trip. I wouldn't do a SAS. I would just beef up the IFS.

DefiantArms

Limp Mode Cowboy
Jan 28, 2016
St. Augustine, FL
I searched and almost everything came up from 09-12 just wanted a newer opinion as newer parts have came out and such. I'm not planning on off-roading just was looking for a more solid setup. I can get a axle for free off a gen3 dodge. But I'll probably just beef up the IFS

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
Honestly that would be the best bet. At times I regret doing an sas. Especially now where I'm located there is no wheeling what so ever. My truck has unfortunately become a pavement princess.....

Bfever74

Feb 12, 2016
Quad Cities, IL
I grew up on solid front axles. It was tough for me to get used to IFS. But I've worked on both, and the amount of work to do the changeover is beyond what you can imagine. It would be a lot of fabrication. Not worth it to me. If I ever get crazy about wanting a solid front axle, I'll get a Cummins. Just my $0.02

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
a 3rd gen dodge front axle (or really the AAM axle from 03 to 14 or 15) isnt much of an upgrade from the GM IFS. you will still have plenty of ball joint and wheel bearing issues.

rg3whitelbz

Jan 19, 2013
Maryland
I've got the stage 3 kryptonite kit with 70k on it. I do a bunch of straight axle ball joints I really don't see them as more reliable.

DefiantArms

Limp Mode Cowboy
Jan 28, 2016
St. Augustine, FL
Yea I've build mud trucks with full 4 links from scratch so I'm not new to it but I do think the stage 3 kit will be my best bet now that I think about it more and listen to yalls advice haha never been good about listening gotta start sometime.