debadging door question?

cdbright

JUST RENT IT
Dec 16, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
i am going to remove the 2500 from my 08 doors, and was wondering if it is just glued on or is there going to be a rivit hole behind there.

thanks for the help

wikdlmm

<-- OWFA
Jun 27, 2008
san angelo
yes i have done this. it has serious 3m tape back there. go to oreillys and get 3m adhesion remover. spray it let it sit. do this a couple of times and eventually it will start coming off with a little force...

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
After you peel the glue off as best you can there will still be a big fat smudge or that nasty residue. Go buy a 3m eraser wheel that you can attatch to your cordless drill. Spray some detailer or something slick on there and buff it off with that. Works like a charm :D If you dont youll be able to see that residue after you wash it because it will hang on to a tiny bit of dirt over time creating lines.

Bako_Dmax

GTO Slayer
Apr 3, 2008
Bako
I used a fishing line to take off my friends badges along with adhesive remover, then used the eraser wheel.

wes06dmax

Feb 23, 2009
South Central Kentucky
After you peel the glue off as best you can there will still be a big fat smudge or that nasty residue. Go buy a 3m eraser wheel that you can attatch to your cordless drill. Spray some detailer or something slick on there and buff it off with that. Works like a charm :D If you dont youll be able to see that residue after you wash it because it will hang on to a tiny bit of dirt over time creating lines.

When I changed my badges I took my truck to a friend of mine who is a body guy and he come out with wheel on a drill and it looked like sand paper grinder looking thing and he started going over that glue with that I was like wait what the hell are you doing and he smiled and said it wont even leave a scratch it really surprised me on how well it got that glue shit off and didnt even do anything to the paint

duckfandan

Jan 24, 2010
My truck is a 2005. If I remove the badges now after the paint has been exposed to the elements for 5 years will the paint underneath be noticeably different because of fading or is this not an issue?

Last edited:

BombDocDiesel

Army Bomb Squad
May 20, 2009
Belcamp, MD
I used a vinyl wedge on small pieces and fishing line on door trim then used a Stripe Stripper ($9 at O'Reillys) to get the majority of the tape residue and finished it off with Rain-X bug and tar remover to get the rest of the residue.

Epileptic GMC

Jan 17, 2010
I'll be removing all my stuff tonight or tomorrow. Door guards, and all the badges. May get Duramax SS badges from somewhere to replace them with.

JMDuramaxLB7

YOU SAID MEMBER!!!
Jun 3, 2007
Missouri
My truck is a 2005. If I remove the badges now after the paint has been exposed to the elements for 5 years will the paint underneath be noticeably different because of fading or is this not an issue?

I removed them from my truck in sig when it was almost three years old and never noticed any difference. Removed trim on friends 01 and it was good also. Just get all the glue off and give it a good waxing and you will be money.

Midnightrider

Jan 5, 2010
ugh to do this right you need Heat gun or blow dryer. heat the badge good then peal it back. It should remove all the adhesive. If you see it start to leave adhesive on the the paint heat it some more. The fishing string is a good idea to. Any leftover glue can be removed with 3M adhesive remover. After that polish and wax the surface where the badge was. While you at it remove the EFI live sticker :angel:

Linden

Sparkplugs FTL
Dec 12, 2009
Florida
get a 3m eraser wheel and a plactic putty knife start at one corner and pop the badge off. then go at it with the 3m eraser wheel

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
ugh to do this right you need Heat gun or blow dryer. heat the badge good then peal it back. It should remove all the adhesive. If you see it start to leave adhesive on the the paint heat it some more. The fishing string is a good idea to. Any leftover glue can be removed with 3M adhesive remover. After that polish and wax the surface where the badge was. While you at it remove the EFI live sticker :angel:

I used a heat gun on mine and it just turned it into hot Goo:rolleyes: It's kinda a PITA to do, but worth the time when done right IMHO..

Linden

Sparkplugs FTL
Dec 12, 2009
Florida
i debadged, demolded, and derockered mine the way i stated above
before
bs036.jpg

after
bs045.jpg