DBUSH goes all in

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Low compression has finally pushed me to decide to build my motor before anything worse happens. My plan is to follow in the footsteps of many who have kindly paved the way to more power without completely breaking the bank. I will utilize (assuming they are not damaged) most of the internals and the block. As much as it kills me not to be able to have a hand in my own build, I must stay out of this. Our company is slammed with work right now and understaffed. Ive already been working long hours and cant handle the stress of this project. I (along with helping friends) usually do every bit of work on my baby but I have no experience building engines or blueprinting and I wont pretend and risk wasting money or screwing it up with this much money on the line. I arrived @ ATS today to drop off my truck in capable hands. Sean Gammel, Clint, Mike, and mostly Patrick have been very kind and eager to see this project to completion with my wishes and parts list followed strictly. I would also like to thank Steve @ SSdieseltuning for all the help/advice and parts sourcing. His prices are great and he has gone above and beyond to assist me.

So here is the parts list:

Merchant A. motor mounts, welded water pump, trans brace, master gasket kit

SoCal damper, flexplate, billet hold downs, valve springs

PPE= Manifolds/up pipes, rail pressure gauge w/overhead mount, PTO covers, couplers and IC boots,

A1 head studs, ARP main studs, Carillos, key cam/crank, delip pistons, Clevite main and rod bearings, ATS twin CP3 kit with new LBZ pump in valley stock original LB7 pump up top, full powdercoat, Mt High performance machine work possibly coating pistons and porting heads.

Last edited:

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Good luck! When should it be done?

4-5 weeks. My goal is to be racing @ tuff truck challenge (held in my hometown) June 29th. I did stress however I did not want them to feel rushed. I firmly believe quality goes to s*** when people are rushed.

Last edited:

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
CC5EBA69-EA03-4119-A3DA-EDBA91A80517-5092-000003C30CC8B9A3_zps1b95209e.jpg

D2517B09-8EF3-4014-9517-FA59BEFDA80F-5092-000003C30B4A2CF3_zps45552ba2.jpg

Gonna suck driving the danger ranger but at least I've got wheels with GREAT A/C!

I will do my best to get pics from the guys as the build goes:thumb:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Nice! Steve was tellin me about your build. Your fun a love that thing after she's back running again!

duramax55

???? 7
Feb 2, 2011
florida
Low compression has finally pushed me to decide to build my motor before anything worse happens. My plan is to follow in the footsteps of many who have kindly paved the way to more power without completely breaking the bank. I will utilize (assuming they are not damaged) most of the internals and the block. As much as it kills me not to be able to have a hand in my own build, I must stay out of this. Our company is slammed with work right now and understaffed. Ive already been working long hours and cant handle the stress of this project. I (along with helping friends) usually do every bit of work on my baby but I have no experience building engines or blueprinting and I wont pretend and risk wasting money or screwing it up with this much money on the line. I arrived @ ATS today to drop off my truck in capable hands. Sean Gammel, Clint, Mike, and mostly Patrick have been very kind and eager to see this project to completion with my wishes and parts list followed strictly. I would also like to thank Steve @ SSdieseltuning for all the help/advice and parts sourcing. His prices are great and he has gone above and beyond to assist me.

So here is the parts list:

Merchant A. motor mounts, welded water pump, trans brace, master gasket kit

SoCal damper, flexplate, billet hold downs, valve springs

PPE= Manifolds/up pipes, rail pressure gauge w/overhead mount, PTO covers, couplers and IC boots,

A1 head studs, ARP main studs, Carillos, key cam/crank, delip pistons, Clevite main and rod bearings, ATS twin CP3 kit with new LBZ pump in valley stock original LB7 pump up top, full powdercoat, Mt High performance machine work possibly coating pistons and porting heads.
i have a new set of fingers cast pistons i will be selling and a used set of ats manifolds and up pipes,pm me if you intersted,btw good luck with your build.nick

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Looks good Damain :thumb::thumb:
You'll be able to use those 2 turbos to their full potential now, plus have alot of fun.:woott:

Yellowchevy

Def excited to finally be getting some more fuel to this equation!!! 18k in the rail was a bit of a shit show

Awesome. Keep us posted. I cant wait to be doin what you are here soon. Hopefully by fall.

Your day will come sooner than you think. I was beginning to loose hope I could ever swing a build.

Nice! Steve was tellin me about your build. Your fun a love that thing after she's back running again!

I literally laid in bed the last two nights not sleeping kuz I'm so excited

Yeahhhhh! :hug: :thumb:

You are the man Steve! Time for this rig to get some SS TUNA!!!!!!!!

i have a new set of fingers cast pistons i will be selling and a used set of ats manifolds and up pipes,pm me if you intersted,btw good luck with your build.nick

Boy if my pistons are no bueno I just may get in touch with ya!!! Thanks for letting me know

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
New pistons! You've got a nice build speced out and I know there expensive but you really should think about it. Gonna be a sweet truck once its done!

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Truck looks good, never seen a pic before.. Sounds like a good build!

Thanks Ryan, ill post another pic of the motor as it sits for before/after purposes.
Before:
EEA47D86-A5F6-4CA0-AD68-723C3B7494A3-1157-0000034DB55A10CE_zps8ded0916.jpg

Damn ATS has changed that whole wall since I was last there. Good luck Damian, I aim to be at those races

I come up here pretty often and every time it gets better.... Remodel work seems to be mostly finished up. What's most impressive the public never sees. Sure they have a ton of lifts downstairs and a killer customer friendly showroom floor but the magic happens upstairs and it has changed so much. The welder/fabricator has his own little shop/cave private from everyone as does the special project (race engine) team. It is also upstairs and they have two lifts of their own in a separate area from everyone else. The R&D has their area and all the electronics they produce are assembled upstairs. I sure hope you AZ boys can come, it will be a blast and I will try and plan some stuff for hanging out before and after like a BBQ or something.

New pistons! You've got a nice build speced out and I know there expensive but you really should think about it. Gonna be a sweet truck once its done!

I would love to do new pistons but I would have to cut out something in my build to do so and I'm not sure I want to. Perhaps the dampner/flexplate are not crucial but I want them done so they can be balanced with the rotating assembly while everything is out you know what I mean? I will take your advice somewhat and at least get some pricing. And it's still early on, who knows my pistons may not be in good shape anyway.... There are other things I've not had the luxury of being able to include despite being an opportune time. My Exergy 60 overs have about 30K on them and I will not be sending them out. The balance rates were pretty damn good. The Trans really SHOULD get some love but its $ that I feel has to be spent elsewhere right now.

Last edited:

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
How important are main studs? I know most builders recomend them but dont you have to have the mains line bored? Price of studs an boring would probably go a ways towards a set of cast performance pistons and there are some very high HP engines running with stock main bolts.

bevi

Jan 17, 2010
Nh
Sounds like a wicked nice shop. You guys are lucky to have something like that near you. Northeast has Nada.

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
How important are main studs? I know most builders recomend them but dont you have to have the mains line bored? Price of studs an boring would probably go a ways towards a set of cast performance pistons and there are some very high HP engines running with stock main bolts.

That's a good question... To be perfectly honest I've seen so many build lists include them I just assumed they would be a staple for the build. Thoroughbread diesel has them so cheap shipped, it didn't make sense to withold them. I did remove billet main caps from the list (reasons of extra machining and not really being necessary for my build) however and used that money instead for the SoCal titanium retainers and valvesprings.

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Sounds like a wicked nice shop. You guys are lucky to have something like that near you. Northeast has Nada.

Even though I live six hours away I do consider it somewhat convenient to the southwest. Perhaps I can post more pics of their showroom/facilities when I pick up my truck so you guys that have never been there can get a feel for what it's like.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I see that makes since, I thought main studs and billet caps just went together. Studs alone would probablly be much cheaper anyway.