Data Loggers

COMP461

Diesel Pro
Apr 29, 2008
Aledo Texas
One of the most important tools in any high performance applications in a Data Logger.

just one of two examples in the diesel world

I run an EGT on every cylinder . You have a injector starting to go down. How do you know other then a loss of power. what can a bad injector do

I use RPM data loggers . I have on the Pro Stuff used RacePac. There is no other data loggers. Sure others make it , but its critical that you be able to speak with others using graphs that they recognize. Kind of like there are many languages , but if you are the only one that speaks Pigion you are kind of out of luck.

on a turbo diesel powered vehicle here is what I recommend and why.

1. Engine RPM and Drive RPM is just a given
2 EGT's on every cylinder
3 Boost
4 Drive pressure
5 fuel pressure .
6 Compressor out temp
7 IC or port temp
8 turbine speed
9 on clutch's input shaft speed
10 drag racers Accelerometers
11 Drag racing Nitrous pressure
12 on CR engines % pulse on FCA's
13 sled pulling ground speed and wheel surface speed

simple screen shots

this is a stall check on the convertor

stall%202_zpswkqoorco.jpg

this was trying to find rail bounce ,

log%20at%20salt%20lake%20city_zpsofcou7le.jpg

RPMs and drive shaft on top
Gmeter and EGTs on the bottom

Screenshot%207_zpsyctkul5l.png

RPMS Drive
Battery voltage
G meter
Fuel pressure

Screenshot%2010_zpsji1sb3us.png

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
Can you post up a picture of your EGT setup? I want to see how you're reading temps from each cylinder.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Can you post up a picture of your EGT setup? I want to see how you're reading temps from each cylinder.

Im sure thru the Glow plug holes, I too would like to see the devise(s) used to collect and display the data, is it an in car setup, like real time visual reference, Greg, or does the setup just collect data and then you review it later?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Im sure thru the Glow plug holes, I too would like to see the devise(s) used to collect and display the data, is it an in car setup, like real time visual reference, Greg, or does the setup just collect data and then you review it later?

Glow plug holes would be cylinder temp, not exhaust. I know our car had individual bungs in the headers about 3 inches back from the flange.

COMP461

Diesel Pro
Apr 29, 2008
Aledo Texas
here was the set up on Project X

100_0224.jpg

100_0523.jpg

20150514_184320_resized_1_zps09bxwjmu.jpg

Randy at RPM does have cylinder pressure probes. They are a piezo sensors and very expensive. We tried this is Pro Stock about 10 years ago. It was not a real possibility back then with available data storage devices . On a V8 with 8 problems looking at cylinder pressure every 1/10 of a degree of crankshaft rotation, the data was like 200 Megabits a second. Randy is revisiting that with a single probe in the glow plug on just one cylinder. We are going to try this this spring

on a side not , my Niece Connie drove Project X diesel " The Beetle " at the Texas mile setting the 2.0 liter record at 138 mph

I was never so proud of her when I down loaded the log , her shifts were almost dead on

ScreenShot001-2.jpg

DSCN1479.jpg

DSCN1476.jpg

COMP461

Diesel Pro
Apr 29, 2008
Aledo Texas
on the RPM data logger you can program the dash to display any channel . The dash has 5 pages and you can set each page up with 5 channels to look at in real time.

as far as EGT's you can look at any one EGT as a single channel, or look at an average of the 8 EGTs . The RPM data logger allows you to do calculated channels. You can combine all of your EGT's and create a average channel and select that on the dash

001_photo_zpsljuawol0.jpg

COMP461

Diesel Pro
Apr 29, 2008
Aledo Texas
this is the sensor for RPMs. You can get one that has a MSD type rpm out for shifters Tachs and other stuff

RPM_Sensor__Bras_4bafae3eaae2a_zpsh3dpizn2.jpg

here is what the drive shaft ring looks

Split_collar__4__4bbb49254d1f5_zpsak16xc6g.jpg

this is one that you put in the bell housing for clutch out

RPM_Sensor__Bras_4bafad410991f_zpscmvd2oll.jpg

here is another deal, I do, this is the sensors I use for TMAP on my engine . 0 to 100 psi map sensor

and 0 to 300 degrees Temp

both are 0 to 5 volt

]
0___100_PSI_Sens_4bb383f358205_zpsiamaeylw.jpg

Last edited:

COMP461

Diesel Pro
Apr 29, 2008
Aledo Texas
This is and interesting log , We were searching for horrible rail bounce with an EFI tune . if you look at the EFI log at 100 samples per second sample rate you would come to a different conclusion , when you look at it at 1000 samples per second we found the problem , its was the pump splitter . We tried several of them and all of them did the same . and you can see the problem . I wished I still had the complete log. I only have this screen shot. one thing I love about using the NIRA is the ability to run any number of pumps without a splitter.

log%20at%20salt%20lake%20city_zpsofcou7le.jpg

COMP461

Diesel Pro
Apr 29, 2008
Aledo Texas
this is a linear motion sensor. They come in many sizes Neat for stuff like waste gates , shock travel, and throttle position

6____Linear_posi_4bb3894944867_zpsiy8e2hks.jpg

COMP461

Diesel Pro
Apr 29, 2008
Aledo Texas
I keep having to go to the threads , they moved all of my threads to hide them in obscure places. I guess next time i need to put drag racing in the title 10 times . Noticed so many threads with nitrous in the title that didn't get moved.

GSXRTURBO1

Feb 10, 2015
Detroit MI
Yes, I noticed that as well... kind of hard NOT to notice that only your posts were targeted.

I hate to take sides on anything like this, I figure people can make their own judgments based on what they read, specially when it's done over time.

That said, I also hate it when someone is obviously being treated differently just because the powers that be don't personally like them.

I know it's difficult to be non-biased when you're a moderator on a forum, but lately it's been totally one sided, which means everyone who reads the forum loses.

Moving posts around just to mess with someone just makes the site as a whole look bad.

I wish we could just move forward without any of the negative crap we've been subject to lately.

Just my 2 cents worth, and I do know how the saying goes about opinions... ;)

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
Doesn't your standalone have data logging capability? My Bosch standalone has a data logger and is a pleasure to use compared to a Racepak.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I can agree that the d!cking with his posts by the mods was foolish but good grief, they didn't move his threads to the appropriate sub-sections of the forum to mess with Greg or "hide" his threads. They simply moved them to their appropriate place so that people who go to those specific sections can find the info there. Do they move every thread that gets started in an inappropriate section? No, but when a person makes half a dozen new threads in 1 inappropriate section like Greg did, it made it easy to see them and move them. I don't see the vindictive nature you all are claiming.

That said, data is knowledge and knowledge is power. More data the better. More accurate that data is, the better. But all of that probably goes without saying. :thumb:

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Dave, what are the sample rates for some of the sensors on the Bosch unit? Be interesting to see how they compare to what Greg has said his logger is doing.