LBZ: danville 72mm vvt or fleece 71.5mm cheetah

Been looking to upgrade the turbo, but im trying to stay stock appearing. one question is, is the danville 72mm stock appearing like the 71.5 cheetah? looks a tad different but im not sure. also which has been proven to perform better, danville 72 or the cheetah 71.5? reason why is because the work stock classes i pull just have to be stock appearing, also can these turbos pass for 2.6?

boominator

Jan 31, 2012
MI
neither will pass 2.6. 66mm is 2.6 71.5mm is 2.8. i have heard only good things about the danville 72 iirc it uses a 4094 vvt cover thats why it may look a little different i dont know anything about the 71.5 though hope this helps

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
They are both stock chragers that are modified. You can get covers made that are 2.6" in size but sometimes protrusion rules may not allow them. Not sure on which is better. Seems like a lot of people have good luck with danvilles stuff. What pulling association are you pulling in?

Jscherbs

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Oct 27, 2009
Canton, MI
make sure you have some big fuel for the 72mm. a guy here locally has one with stock sticks and its laggy as hell.

new tune, still not fixed.

c0ncEpT

Jan 2, 2012
Michigan
Another vote for the Danville 72mm.

A friend of mine has an LLY with Marks 72mm, 45% sticks, and a single stroker CP3 pump. That truck is mean even turned down because of the stock motor!

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Ive heard that with a tighter converter and some added fuel down low in the rpm band, the danville 72 can spool pretty ok on stock fuel.
That being said, it takes work and money to make it lite on stock fuel, its not a" drop in" and go unit, even tho it does drop right in, you wont see any real potential outa that charger without custom fueling and a built engine(vvt 72 has 800hp potential)
I too want this charger, just a bit outta reach for about six months maybe even a year
by then i imagine there will be several of us running one, hopefully more tuning tricks to optimize stock fueling to push this charger too, that would be nice cuz my injectors have no sign of failing, and i dont want to replace them if i dont "have" to
they be expensive yo

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Know of any other people forsure running illegal turbos in that class? I almost bought one but I'm afraid of getting caught. I really need it though I can't get a tune to run real powerful in my truck, it just overfuels/underboosts. But I can run pretty quick at the track IMO. FWIW I would be careful though, since Chris resigned they might hire a tech thats not so nice about letting things slide soon. But I really have no clue. Everyone was checked in Marion county this past weekend but it was a visual only.

bcdeutsch731

Nov 4, 2010
Illinois
Go with the 72mm and Mark's tuning. I have the 72mm in a twin set up and love it. Mark has the 72mm on his truck with a stock motor and loves it. He took his twins off, that's how much he like's it.
If your not sure about anything just give the guys over at Danville a call and they will help you out.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Really, he took the twins off and is running a sig 72.
thats it
im sellin my dirt bike