Cylinder bore repair?

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
If you can find a sleeve why not. I know they are tough on tools with drill with those little marks in them. If you can get it sleeved it that jacket will be blocked off again and good to go

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
Wagler had cylinder sleeves on display at TS, and from what I was told they are in a high horsepower 3.0 duramax puller.

Yes, that 3.0 engine also has 1" thick deck plates to help support the structure of the block that was bored out of it to be sleeved, and it's 100% "cement" filled.

I had a 5.9 Cummins 12 valve block sleeved on one cylinder for a customer's truck a few years ago by a local machine shop, sleeve was around $85 if I remember correct and $40 to bore and press in.

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Yes, that 3.0 engine also has 1" thick deck plates to help support the structure of the block that was bored out of it to be sleeved, and it's 100% "cement" filled.

I had a 5.9 Cummins 12 valve block sleeved on one cylinder for a customer's truck a few years ago by a local machine shop, sleeve was around $85 if I remember correct and $40 to bore and press in.
Thanks, I will check with the meachine shop that did the machine work on my last engine. If it is sleeved, what kind of block support would be recommend? A Girdle kit?

Dmax87

Dec 3, 2013
Is this block sleeve able? If so, is it worth doing all 8? I have a block that I would love to start building for my C10.

Yeah I don't think a hole of that size would be able to be sleeved. To sleeve the block they have to first bore it out, there's no way they could get a smooth cut at that hole. All it would do is make the hole larger. I could be wrong somebody out there is probably looking at it right now saying "easy as baking a cake" lol

dougmac

Jul 20, 2014
Is this block sleeve able? If so, is it worth doing all 8? I have a block that I would love to start building for my C10.
I am pretty sure its toast. There is no way to seal the coolant around the sleeve. Also not having the sleeve supported where the opening is would cause problems too.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo

That's the reason for sleeves. They bore the old wall out all the way so that hole will be gone anyways. The sleeve is beat in and seals very tight. Seals at the very top and bottom.
Fleece I think had a stroker build with all sleeves in it awhile back.
Most do not do it because of the cost of the sleeves and labor cheaper to buy a good block.

Here is one we had done.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
That's the reason for sleeves. They bore the old wall out all the way so that hole will be gone anyways. The sleeve is beat in and seals very tight. Seals at the very top and bottom.
Most do not do it because of the cost of the sleeves and labor cheaper to buy a good block.

Here is one we had done.

Exactly, that's a whole new cylinder. Listen to Henry

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa

Here is one we had done.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did it run for all eight? Another block will be about 350-500 bucks. Is it compare able?

blue09dmaxx

Too broke for this shit
Jan 15, 2012
The south
Jeff at Burkett racing was gonna do mine for around 90 for sleeve and 200 labor I believe but he recommends no more than 2

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
When they cut out all cylinder walls and do just sleeves for 100% cylinder walls, that is when they usually go to deck plates... They remove too much structure from OEM block for big HP.

Tractor pullers have been doing big cubic inch inline 6 and v8 engines for years. Deck plates tie all the liners and block structure back together, like a girdle for the deck...

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
Look up an aluminum LS block with no liners(sleeves) in it, it will give you an idea of what I'm talking. ERL makes some badass LS engines and deck plate engines, they (I believe) are the company who put the liners in the Fleece 454 ci DMAX.

I would not be afraid to sleeve one or two cylinders on a street engine, but definitely not on a performance/racing built engine, unless it was designed and built to run sleeves to be stronger.

weazel

Oct 5, 2011
Mason, TX
Good info guys! I'll just be needing one sleeve done to this block to make it good again. It prolly won't ever go over 500hp, as I'm contemplating using it in an iroc style camaro...

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
When to the mechanic shop this morning, a ruff estimate of about 250 for one cylinder. Question, what about any hardening of the sleeve. It will not be making Maga power.