CV shaft boot

paytonlb7

Owner at Torq Industries
Jul 16, 2010
Idaho
www.torq-industries.com
Dads 06 lbz, while changing oil tonight we noticed his upper driver side CV shaft boot was torn. It has leaked all the grease and the knuckle is dry. He has only had the truck a month so we're not sure when it happend. I'm not worried about doing it my self just wondering if this has happened to anyone else? What is the likelihood of that knuckle being shot?
Thanks

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Just happened to a buddy of mines 1/2 ton, and I've got an outer one with a hole in it on mine. It doesn't take much to poke one, and once they have a small hole in them they do nothing but get worse. You're better off just replacing it, by the time you buy a quality replacement boot kit you'll probably spend $30-40. And at least an hours work to take the axle apart to replace the boot. A new complete axle is only $60 or so.

Sint frum tha orijinul smert fone

fctry286

WhisperMax
Jul 30, 2010
San Diego.
GMpartsdirect. CV boot replacement for $15 just did mine like a month ago. fast shipping comes with grease boot and clamps.

Durascrap02

Aug 7, 2010
Yankton, SD
i tore my outside driver side all the grease has been out since june still driving it got a new shaft waiting:D i tried to hose clamp it cuz the hole was really close to the outside of boot, didnt pan out.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Whats the easiest way to get to the inner boot? Pull the axle off?

Pop the upper ball joint out of the spindle, pop the tie rod out of the spindle, undo the strap that is holding the big side of the boot and pull the axle apart. Take the c-clip off the end to remove the big roller star at the end of the axle and remove the small strap holding the boot. Install new boot and reinstall in reverse order

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Lol as you pull the spindle back (out away from the truxk) it will literally pull apart. You will see what i mean when you pull it out.

Josh2002cc

That Uncle
Apr 2, 2007
Just happened to a buddy of mines 1/2 ton, and I've got an outer one with a hole in it on mine. It doesn't take much to poke one, and once they have a small hole in them they do nothing but get worse. You're better off just replacing it, by the time you buy a quality replacement boot kit you'll probably spend $30-40. And at least an hours work to take the axle apart to replace the boot. A new complete axle is only $60 or so.

Sint frum tha orijinul smert fone

Where are you buying them for $60.00 or so? I seem to pay $90.00 :confused:

Josh2002cc

That Uncle
Apr 2, 2007
anybody have suggestions on how to clamp it?

A boot kit should come with clamps. Most I have done require the special pair of pliers that chrimp the band around the boot. If you do not have them, I would try regular pliers but I doubt it would hold very well.

MAXOVERMOTOR

Dec 1, 2011
central NY
on my 08 the larger clamp is pressed on an the smaller is a oetiker clamp...I pull my axle out an drop it at the dealer an they press the one clamp for me,I put boots on like crazy,I have one of the first design cognito lifts an the boots rub in one spot,bad design. But on mine I just take the axle nut off an bolts on the diff an its off,less then 5 minutes.