CV Output Shaft is pulling out of front Diff???

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
I have been noticing a bad leak of fluid coming out of the front differential lately so i thought maybe the seal on the drivers side output shaft needed replaced. So i just filled it back up with oil for the time being and called it good till i get time to fix it. Well the other day i noticed a really bad vibration in my truck that its never had before, i stopped at a gas station and checked for something wrong, i found that my drivers side cv shaft was wobbling about 1 inch in every direction WTF!!! So i guess what happened was it pulled the output shaft out of the front diff. because i pushed the cv shaft back into the diff. but now it still has the bad vibration so I'm guessing it tore something up in the diff. where the output shaft goes in??? Wondering if any of you have had this issue before and any help??? I think the reason it pulled out is because my truck is so low that it has to have cv shaft spacers to keep from being to short so maybe i need thicker cv shaft spacers? Im considering just raising the front end up a little so i don't have to deal with this shit! DAMN IT BRIAN:D

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
Yes it has 1/2 inch spacers already and is still pulling apart? I guess i need thicker spacers or need a stock set of torsion keys so i can raise the front end up a little bit. The problem i have is it has 3" lowering keys and they are cranked all the way up so i can't raise the front end any higher than it is now unless i change the torsion keys. Anyone have a set of stock torsion keys??? Pm me if you do please:thumb:

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I put those 1/2" spacers in probably 10k ago, never had an issue since. I have some 1" spacers if you want me to send you them but they won'y fit unless you go lower; or just put stock keys back in it and lift it up an inch or 2 so it will be level with the rear. I checked those to make sure the CV's were fine when turned lock to lock and they were.:thumb: The CV shaft does not pull from the diff, the CV "ball and socket" inside the steel part of the CV wherte it holds to the wheel bearing is where they seperate (where the rubber boot is)This only happens when you maz out the travel of the CV while turning; reason why I put in the spacers.

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
Brian It is pulling the whole output shaft out of the differential! You know where the cv spacers are? Well right behind the spacers I'm assuming is called the output shaft? That is what it is pulling out??? I slammed it back in there just to get home. That is where my diff. leak i was telling you about is coming from lol. What should i do to keep it from pulling the output shaft out?

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
Its spicy alright:roflmao: To bad i can't run it hard enough to get a damn log because I'm afraid the front wheel is gonna fall off:woott:

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
I think you would have known or the CV would be jammed in there or in some kind of bind. I would assume it did what most do and popped out.

Speaking of which it is about time I serviced/replaced all my front end wearable parts.

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
So there is nothing that holds it into the diff.? I just pushed it back in there but still have a bad vibration??? Brian just replaced this cv shaft also so the cv shaft joints should be good:confused:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
There is a wire retaining ring on the splines of the axle stub that goes into the diff.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
There is a wire retaining ring on the splines of the axle stub that goes into the diff.

x2, id pull the axle back out and make sure its still there. the inner part of the cv can still pull out of the outer part of the cv as well and give a vib. Brian spent alot of time workin on gettin the right spacer for those CVs. if you go bigger and crank that front end up, your gunna damage the CV from bottoming it out too far into the "slip area". Not enough spacer and it yanks out. the 1/2" worked well from what i remember.

id pull that axle and make sure the clip is still there, if it aint, id be yankin the diff in search of it so it dont destroy the diff. if it is there, time for a new one.

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
x2, id pull the axle back out and make sure its still there. the inner part of the cv can still pull out of the outer part of the cv as well and give a vib. Brian spent alot of time workin on gettin the right spacer for those CVs. if you go bigger and crank that front end up, your gunna damage the CV from bottoming it out too far into the "slip area". Not enough spacer and it yanks out. the 1/2" worked well from what i remember.

id pull that axle and make sure the clip is still there, if it aint, id be yankin the diff in search of it so it dont destroy the diff. if it is there, time for a new one.

Thank you James and Josh i have never tore into the front end on one off these and had no clue about this steel clip ring. So you think if the ring broke then that will let the cv come out and do what its doing, that makes a lot of sense i will find out soon, anyone have a part number for this part?

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
Well guys i got the vibration fixed today! I pulled the output shaft out and the steel ring was still on the shaft. I replaced it with a new one and replaced the seal and the vibration is gone so I'm not sure what it was but its fixed:thumb:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Yeah no shit LOL:happy2: Everything looked great i just think the steel clip must have been wore out or something?

Ive seen them become weak and pop like that but only in polaris rzrs and rhinos. This is the first ive heard this. Least its fixed!!!!!

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
Yes I'm very happy its fixed i just hope it doesn't happen again!!! Thanks for your help James:thumb: Do you have a website up yet?