Custom sub box?

blowinsmoke

obsessed not addicted
Nov 24, 2009
Has anyone made a custom sub enclosure for 2 8's or 10's that will go behind the seat in a ext cab? Sealed box? Was wondering what Cubic feet needs to be and dimensions , so i can make my own. thanks Jeff

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
Well the Cubic feet of air will have have to do with what subs you use. I like "Sealed boxes" more as you can get better sound not as loud but clearer.

x2 - Check to see what air space requirements your subs have. Also keep in mind that some manufacturers indicate how much the speaker driver displacement is (how much space the backside of the speaker will take up in your box). You might want to factor this in when designing your box. Depending on the speaker, it may not take up too much space so it is your choice if you want to include it or not.

I have two MTX 10's in a 1.5 cubic foot sealed box behind the back seat (Crew Cab though). It's good but won't win any SPL contest or disturb the neighbors (too much). However, the subs are right up against the back seat and really don't have a lot of room to breathe. I will either re-build the box for behind the seat or am thinking about building a down firing box under the back seat and then put the amps behind the back seat.

Is there a specific reason you want to put it behind the seat instead of under the seat? I know a lot of the ext cab guys on here use under the seat boxes because you can buy boxes already made and unloaded.

Last edited:

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
These guys are steering you right. sealed enclosures gennerally offer the best sound quality and the most compact package. Also, FWIW, a down-firing, or rear-firing enclosure will offer just a bit more SPL than an open air front speaker due to increased loading on the front side of the speaker. As long as the driver is firing into something solid, IE the floor or rear wall (though the rear wall can sometimes tend to rattle) it makes the whole system behave simmilarly to a band-pass enclosure.

WTF

slow and broke
Nov 20, 2006
Wasco,CA
Has anyone made a custom sub enclosure for 2 8's or 10's that will go behind the seat in a ext cab? Sealed box? Was wondering what Cubic feet needs to be and dimensions , so i can make my own. thanks Jeff

if ur in cal i got a down firing box that was made for 2 fosgate punch stage3 12" s and its for sell it was custom made for a ec

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
Ported enclosures do produce more SPL, but with degraded sound quality, and a tradoff on frequency response. They also require more enclosure volume resulting in an overall larger package.

maxaholic

Dec 6, 2008
Central, Texas
Since we are on the topic. My single 10" is in a sealed box. How can I get it louder. I've adjusted the amp but then it sounds like crap. I really have no clue as to what I'm doin.

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
A single 10" sub isn't gonna be incredibly loud. My guess is that when you adjust for more sub volume, one of two thins are happening: either the amp is overdriving the sub, causing it to clip (suspension hitting the end of travel, causing the peaks of the sound waves to be cut off, or "clipped" off) or: the Amp is clipping (the amp not having enough power to send the full waveform to the sub, resulting in a simmiler sound degredation). Either way, if you want more bass volume, odds are you will just have to increase the size and/or number of drivers and amps.

Last edited:

maxaholic

Dec 6, 2008
Central, Texas
Thinks for the explanation. Jeffs (wikdlmm) single ten sounds badass and I wish mine would sound like that. But like I said I have no clue as to what to do.