Curiosity.....Pistons?

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
ive ran the ppe 300 tune for a loooong time, now im running efi with a stronger tune than that. those tunes have plenty of fuel IMO... all im saying is if i had more air and more fuel, i wouldnt hesitate on testing my faith:D

taylorbok

Jan 31, 2011
I want to build my motor soon, I want to be capable of pushing 800-850 hp but will daily drive between 500-600, I want reliability and I am not affraid to spend the extra but I dont want to be replacing rings every 30 000 miles, are the cast mahles any better or just stick with stock pistons cut and coated?

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Stock and mahle race pistons are both cast are they not? If so can we please refer to them as race mahle and stock delipped, it gets a bit confusing imo

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
When you say mahle cast? You mean the race pistons or the stock? Cause aren't our stock pistons cast mahles aswell?

The Race cast come with coating on the sides and with or without valve cut outs. There are some machine shops that say that the Race cast are weaker then the LB7 Cast pistons.

Mahle Cast Race Piston
MahleDuramaxPiston.jpg

Stock Mahle piston nothing done to it.
266406_220258331352739_100609126650994_703631_2184304_o.jpg

Cast cut and coated
Piston-heads.jpg

Bobo

Aug 27, 2006
Imo they hold up fine, forever? no, but do forged pistons hold up forever? nope. I ran cast lb7s that were delipped, and had valve releifs cut for 2 1/2 years. 1 year running high 10s, the other year and a half pulling. I did crack one this year, but they had seen some stress. I havent had my engine on a dyno yet, but id say the numbers are pretty decent. I did go to forged after i cracked one, but only time will tell how long they will hold.

I've seen the same results. My street truck is at 93,000 miles on my stock LLY pistons over 700hp and running fine for 65,000 of those miles. It don't see near the stress or heat of a competition motor. My pistons are decked, delipped, and not coated. I would not deck them next time, but delipping has proven to work well.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
The Race cast come with coating on the sides and with or without valve cut outs. There are some machine shops that say that the Race cast are weaker then the LB7 Cast pistons.

Hmm I haven't heard that before, it is good to know though. So IF I need to overbore and I can get away with .010 over, could rings be enough for stock pistons? Or would the smart thing to do be to bore it over alittle more and just get new pistons? That extra clearane would either help or hurt it in a big way, just not sure which. I do think that 10 over could be doable with some rings, or is that wishful thinking?

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Hmm I haven't heard that before, it is good to know though. So IF I need to overbore and I can get away with .010 over, could rings be enough for stock pistons? Or would the smart thing to do be to bore it over alittle more and just get new pistons? That extra clearane would either help or hurt it in a big way, just not sure which. I do think that 10 over could be doable with some rings, or is that wishful thinking?

There is only std , .020, .040, you can not get a .010 over.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Hes asking if he can run a standard piston with new rings in a .010 bored over motor

I see that after reading again James.

Yea I would not run that much clearence.At that point you have paid for boring and you would not be much more into a set of new pistons with rings clips and pins.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
Personally I think fingers design has it going on. I wasn't comfortable running the convetional cast piston setup or forged and I am willing to take the risk to see if i'm right (How else are we going to find out unless people run them if i'm wrong i'm wrong life goes on). The way I look at it is I know when to worry about delipped cast pistons and if nothing else fingers design is atleast as strong but with the potential of being stronger.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Personally I think fingers design has it going on. I wasn't comfortable running the convetional cast piston setup or forged and I am willing to take the risk to see if i'm right (How else are we going to find out unless people run them if i'm wrong i'm wrong life goes on). The way I look at it is I know when to worry about delipped cast pistons and if nothing else fingers design is atleast as strong but with the potential of being stronger.

Yeah I've read the whole thread and seems like a pretty smart design, I just can't take a chance of it breaking again money wise. I want something that has been proven in a dd. And thanks Henry ill take that advice about the ring gap.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
Yeah I've read the whole thread and seems like a pretty smart design, I just can't take a chance of it breaking again money wise. I want something that has been proven in a dd. And thanks Henry ill take that advice about the ring gap.

What's been proven :confused: Forged in race applications? Look harder ;)