Cummins SS/PS we built

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So now that the drags are over and the truck has been out in public, I'm able to talk about the truck I am apart of and helped build.

Started as a 2004 dodge rc/lb ranch truck. Yes I know.... a dodge. My buddy mark is big into them cause he doesn't know dmaxes well enough and has always had cummins (until recently where his personal trucks are dmaxes). Plus the fact we could make 1000hp on a stock bottom end was appealing for a budget build and to make the races this past Saturday. Mark and Fred decided to build this truck in mid January and make it run 10s, possibly 9s by the nhrda event. Not an easy feat.

I was called up by Mark to see if I would build the 8.50 or slower legal cage to help keep things on the down low. I agreed to the challenge and the build started beginning of feb. Took me a week to build the cage as I got pretty sick the Sunday after I started on it. First cage I have done to nhra spec. Boy did I learn a lot. It's not the first cage I have built but it is for drag racing. You certainly can't hold the rule book to be the "this is how it should be" let alone other certified cages you may have seen. It all comes down to how the inspectors determines the cage. Initially I built the cage how Mark wanted it while keeping the stock dash and still let him get in and out of the truck easily. Via the rule book, it was done correctly though with my off road back ground, I wanted to add more bracing. This would have to be done later when the inspector first checked it out and agreed with me. Again, I was just going by the rule book and what my buddy wanted though initially. I will be doing things different on the next build. There are a couple guys wanting cages from me now, go figure lol.

5ee00424796425dde74c8f56c4c718e4.jpg

da1f5017ffe0720bc74273866cfdcf89.jpg

bd91a74c4a2b5f8ec451d6bde2a871ab.jpg

6e615f6304a91984401747ea8dc3ba20.jpg

32bf3ef823724ea769945bff31ebd69b.jpg

62a8318e67169eb5cfda9c9ae4f5447d.jpg

8c5c58606b1dd7cb94786c27b77bfeab.jpg

dd29becb3ee8e4ae2e666be51fd11ae9.jpg

c4672908cebf8b6187c63faf1d0f260c.jpg

e17753c8fc60d81e6d278903a8409f12.jpg

aa6a594d5b1051e169811f04b256edaf.jpg

3144f9b395dc1a25823af33e4b0dbfac.jpg

After finally meeting with the local inspector, he agreed that more triangulation was needed so these bars were added

4ec50cde64584b9565fd66f215400590.jpg

It was certified last weekend and is good for the next 3 years now. Cage is all mild steel 1 3/4" .134 wall so we are not under the .118 min wall thickness. I would have made it from chromoly but I do not have a TIG.

I also lowered the factory seat 3", put belts in, changed the rear open diff to a limited slip, help setup the cal tracs, put a limit strap on one side to keep the drive shaft from hitting the hoop (I didn't fab them, didn't have the time and we all know how pre fabbed things go), built a new hot side intercooler tube, built the exhaust tube for a good stack, wired up the gauges with mark, built a trans shifter stand and in sure a host of other things I'm forgetting. Mark and fred tackled the trans and engine top end (built 48re with full manual valve body, tci shifter, cam, valve springs, push rods, head studs, electric fans, different coolant resi, dual fueler, LARGE injectors, 476 t6 with a 96mm turbine, yards yadda yadda). Basically is running a decent sized single and nitrous as well that we installed.

I became more than just the cage builder as I saw how far behind they were for race day and next thing I know, I'm apart of the team and helping build a truck to compete in nhrda lol.

Ran into issues last weekend testing at the track. Could not get the charger to light at all when staging. Had a bad combo of converter stall, turbo size and tuning.

We changed turbo housing size and got some good tuning that allowed us to get on top of the charger decently but we will be changing the converter to a higher stall. It will help staging and 60ft immensely.

Mark raced the truck this weekend and first pass was a 12.2 with draining rail and poor launch. All fuel. Second pass was 11.7 with another poor launch and a 75shot. Third pass was eliminations and we red lighted but got a good launch finally and changed the tune to help hold rail. Ran a 11.2 all fuel. Being out, we ran tnt the rest of the day and got two more passes in. Biggest thing is getting use to shifting this thing. 4th pass he launched hard and got a 1.5 60ft with spinning radials, shifting issues hindered a good time and ran a 11.7. Mark came right back around and ran again soon as they let tnt go again and this time took his time, set up for a good launch and nailed his shifting and hit the button right into 2nd gear. Another 1.5 60 and ran a 10.53 at 131mph. We were ecstatic being all the little issue holding the truck back.

We got a few things to change up and logging to do but with all the help we had out there from other teams, it was awesome.

Here is a video of the last pass.
[youtube]zVtP--tr5F8[/youtube]

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Thanks guys, there will be some added bars going in this cage still, changing the seat out and some other changes to come. Really happy with how it turned out with only a month and half build time

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Nice work, James. Kinda surprising you didnt run the A-pillar bars thru the dash. That second bend had me worried until you added the lower bars. But you can come up and build mine anytime, ok? :thumb:

Looked from the video that your next step is to really dial in the suspension.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Nice work, James. Kinda surprising you didnt run the A-pillar bars thru the dash. That second bend had me worried until you added the lower bars. But you can come up and build mine anytime, ok? :thumb:

Looked from the video that your next step is to really dial in the suspension.

its what he wanted. he was hell bent on keeping the dash and not running bars through it. i have no idea why but its his truck. this will be the only cage built this way. i have another truck coming that wanted the same but i wont do that. they are pulling the dash and i told them if they want to keep the vents for air, leave those and ill see if i can work around them but they will have to trim the dash to fit around the cage. you fly me up there and i have jon bring my fab tools up with him from one of his test trips out here and ill build you a cage buddy :hug: :D

we are going to iron out the performance bugs before we start messing with suspension. specially before we swap converters. that will change up how it will launch and ill adjust accordingly. i have no idea why the first two tunes we got would increase pulse width as rail pressure dropped. completely opposite of what we do on dmax tunes. the last tune we got was capped to stop it from doing that but we need to log it and see if the fprv plug we put in stopped the dropping rail issue or if we have something else going on. Also going to put an air shifter in the truck to get rid of human error :D

GSXRTURBO1

Feb 10, 2015
Detroit MI
good mph for that ET, shows the potential (HP is there)

once the chassis gets sorted look out!

very nice work, especially given the short timeframe

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
gave the truck an altitude adjustment last sunday. 5" rear drop, 3" front drop. coming over to my place this weekend for new seat, change up the harness belts some, fuel cell, rear shock change up and if i have time, some more weight reduction.

excuse the rollers lol :rofl: