Cruise cuts out when turn signal is used

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
Did some searching here and at the place, didnt see this exact problem. Did see some similiar issues. Maybe I'm not searching on the right phrase...

On the highway with the cruise set, when I used the turn signal to change lanes, the cruise kicked off. Hit resume and it would take me back where I was.

It did it every time for about an hour, then started working fine.

After I stopped in Dubois PA and got back on 80, it did it every time all the way home.

I tried to stop using the turn signal, but its a hard habit to break.

So I read something about a spring harnas, or is it the turn signal lever I need to replace?

Anything I can test/check?

Last edited:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Me thinks you had better go to the shinny store first :witch:

:rofl:

:rofl::rofl:
it better be pretty darn shinney .... btw the make up gift has to cost 2X the amount of the in trouble purchase :eek::eek::eek: lotsofmiles better call Tiffany's :D

Last edited:

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
Well I dont think its the turn signal lever causing the problem. On the last trip it got worse. In addition to the cruise cutting out when I used the turn signal, when I hit the brakes the turn signals stopped working. I also noticed that when I used th turn signals with a trailer hooked up, the elec brake was activating with each flash.

I disconnected the wiring harness from the trailer plug in and it was full of corrosion. I've replaced the plug once before with another stock plug. last time the trailer brakes stopped working and that was the worst plug.

I cleaned and scrapped all the contacts, and put it back together. Turned on the turn signal and hit the brakes and all works as it should. i think i just bought some time and will need to replace the plug and the wiring next.

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
Cleaning the plugs up didnt work very long. Going to WI this week, cruise started cutting out again, and elec brake wasnt working all the time. Good thing I only had about 3000 lbs behind me.

Factory wiring was about $100. Cut the harnass off and replaced it with an aftermarket one, $15. Used some spray sealer on it, hopefully it will stay sealed & dry.

I know the pic isnt the clearest, but I pulled the plugs out of the harnass where it plugs into the hitch mount trailer plug. Dont think the factory one seals the greatest.

Last edited:

UPS DRVR

BROWN TRUCK DRIVER
Apr 13, 2008
Saegertown, PA
Thank you lotsofmiles. My 03 is doing the same thing and I was afraid it was my turn signal lever or the evil gremlins that seem to come with the 03 model.