Crazy scary day at work today!!!!

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
I am in the process of doing a full under carriage on a 650J John deere dozer. I had one side done out side the track. I had about half the other side done and i was taking the top side track roller off. I got the two bolts out of the roller and decided to "smack" the roller twice to loosen it up a tad and then go home for christmas break. On my second smack i feel imediate pain in my throat neck area.
I turn around and run right to the mechanic behind me and ask ralston if im bleeding. He's like " Na man uh uh uh dude yea heres a rag." So i go break the news to the boss thats like crap dude. After talking to the saftey lady and BSing in the shop about it and kinda laughing Ralston kinda waves his mac pocket screw driver over my neck with the magnet and it fcking sticks to my neck. I am like WTF!!!!!!!!! He starts freaking out and needless to say after 5 hours in the E.R. and two doctors later I had a decent size about the size of a pinky nail piece of metal dug out of my neck. Great way to start the holidays:eek:

dmaxman06

May 25, 2011
morenci az
yeah man at my job we have had a few people get struck with flymetal so now we have to wear fullface shields when we swing a hammer if were doing something major like beating out a pin ect we have to put on a full leather suit thing on it sucks but glad ur ok man :thumb:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I had 3 pieces of a hardened mac chisel in my chest for about a year and half before I got them dug out... Hardened steel against hardened steel is a bad idea. I had to learn the hard way to. Glad it isn't to serious but serious enough not to forget...

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Glad you're ok. One of the guys at work told me hitting a hammer with another is a bad idea, I've done it for years without any problems; glad I know better.

Similar thing happened to my dad about 5 - 10years ago except it went into his stomach. He felt something around his stomach so he grabbed a magnet and his skin pulled out. He didn't want to go to the hospital so my mom cut it out :thumb:

Yellowchevy

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
Thanks guys. Yea, let this be a learing curve for ALL of us:thumb: The second doctor said it was crazy freak accident. He also said "even know it sounds bad" that hitting me square in the middle of my neck, throat really was the best place compared to the side of your neck.

05chevy

Jun 10, 2010
Glad you ok. Thats crazy. Can u tell on the roller where the metal came from?.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Glad your OK! years ago I had this happen to me in the log woods. I was holding a punch with vise grips and a friend was killing it with a sledge hammer. A small piece hit me in the forehead and went down my skull under the skin about an inch. It was numb so he dug it out there with his pocket knife. I think back on this day all the time and realize how lucky I was although I was wearing safety glasses it only missed my eye by two inches. I now wear face shields!

gmc502

Jan 16, 2011
Glad your ok,at least you'll have Merry Christmas.
Same kinda accident happened to the boss and he took precautions.a race on a prop shaft(boat outdrive),chip hit him between eye and ear.it stuck in.he used a snap on blue telescoping magnet to pull it out,a day later.crazy stuff happens,just have to be as careful asyou can.

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
Glad you ok. Thats crazy. Can u tell on the roller where the metal came from?.
Yes, before I left work we looked at the roller and figured out it was either a slither off the outside or the nugget chunk in the middle that was missing......It was the nugget.

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
Damn, glad your OK. I've started wearing safety glasses a lot more then I use to. I got a away with a lot of stuff when I was young and dumb but should know better now. Not saying any of this was your fault, just saying it to myself.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Wow lucky indeed.

One of my old supers was driving a nail in with a hammer when he glanced off it. It flew up and hit him in the eye. Almost lose his eye.

I don't wear safety glasses like I should, but I make up for it on some project where we have to have a safety meetings on how to wipe your ass.